Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Friday Hodgepodge

Rate this topic

Four Wins, of Various Sizes

The below are gleaned from a recent review of my daily "wins log."

1. I got my second Pfizer/BioNTech shot about a month ago. Thank you, Ugur Sahin and Ozlem Tureci!
In the past, they focussed on developing cancer therapies, essentially by programming cells to produce therapeutic proteins. For a decade, their company had never brought a product to market. During a 2018 conference of infectious disease experts in Berlin, Prof. Sahin made a bold statement: that his company might be able to use its "messenger RNA technology" to rapidly develop a vaccine in the event of a global pandemic.
That goes for my wife, too. Despite the fact that I had signed up for two different waiting lists, the one she found got me a shot faster than I was even notified by the other two.

steak.jpg
Image by GetĂșlio Moraes, via Unsplash, license.
2. Thanks to my slow, patient garage terraform, I was ready to house a golf cart that my in-laws gave us after moving nearby, recently.

The development we live in was built with golf carts in mind, and it's nice to have one. I dropped the kids off at school today with it, and I won't miss the car line, at least on days that are nice enough to use one. The fresh air was a pleasant change of pace, too.

3. Owing to the move, we got to entertain at home for the first time in ages. The menu was simple: grilled steak, some of Publix's excellent coleslaw, and potatoes baked this way. Those are always a crowd-pleaser.

4. Need to encrypt a PDF? I never actually needed to until recently, and I don't own expensive editing software. I now know of an easy way to do it. I use the second method listed. I'm a Linux guy, but I believe the software, QPDF, is multi-platform.

-- CAV

Link to Original