Objectivism Online Forum

The Rancher's Revenge

Rate this topic

I just have one question: When did egregious lawsuits become "part of the democratic process"? The Center's ability to destroy businesses isn't democratic, it's blatant use of pull. They got what they deserved. Heck, if the court had ordered the organization disbanded it would have been even BETTER.

I just have one question:  When did egregious lawsuits become "part of the democratic process"?  The Center's ability to destroy businesses isn't democratic, it's blatant use of pull.  They got what they deserved.  Heck, if the court had ordered the organization disbanded it would have been even BETTER.

Actually, I can't remember which law it was, I'm thinking Bush #1 or Clinton, (I'm leaning towards Bush) the government effectively started offering bounties on environmental suits that could be brought to court and effectively won under certain circumsatnces if I remmeber correctly. NGO's could sue and private companies and people and they would get to keep a portion of the violation. Kind of like the portion of the takings a whistle blower gets to keep.

That allows Naders semi-govt/semi-private funded Public Interest Research Groups to sue the living stew out of everyone and do "research" and make some pretty go money doing it.

It's ironic that the Center for Biological Diversity is complaining that someone is using their own tactics against them. Considering they are directly linked to Earth First!, I guess they would be surprised if someome superglued their front door locks or put claymore mines in their hallways. Now the court can't technically force them to quit pulling these BS stunts but they can get let the judgement stand.

Then of course what will happen is suddenly and quite magically when they try to collect the rancher will learn that the group has no real assetts whatsoever after they get through paying their attorneys and compensation of their board but their just so happens to be another group with a similar name and the same members just next door.....