Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Column: Considering Ron DeSantis? You May Want To Back Down

Rate this topic

Polls have two-thirds crying ¡No más! to a second helping of Trump/Biden.

Still, most of us don't care about the feud between Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and Disney. This is puzzling, since he's the most likely alternative.
wd_n_mickey.jpg
Image by Kenrick Mills, via Unslash, license.
After initially closing schools during the pandemic, DeSantis quickly resumed in-person schooling, Trump's whining notwithstanding. Grateful parents helped reelect DeSantis by nearly 20 percent.

DeSantis also addressed disturbing aspects of the curriculum parents had witnessed on their computer screens while their children were taught remotely -- by signing the Parental Rights in Education Act.

That law -- smeared by Disney as Don't Say Gay -- prohibits including sexual orientation or gender identity in classes from kindergarten through fourth grade. Curtailing instruction to which a solid majority of parents object is an imperfect, but hardly unreasonable solution.

Shortly after DeSantis signed his measure into law and declared victory, Disney decided to publicly criticize it.

This is not unusual...

To continue reading my latest column, please proceed to RealClear Markets.

I would like to thank my wife and Steve D. for their comments on earlier versions of this piece.

-- CAV

Link to Original