Objectivism Online Forum

The Rock Musical: Chess

Rate this topic

RationalBiker

Anyone in here familiar with it?

Around 20 years ago, my friends and I discovered a rock musical called Chess ( created by Benny Andersson, Tim Rice and Bjorn Ulvaeus). I loved the music and story almost instantly, and it has remained one of my favorite albums (now CDs) since then.

For those unfamiliar, the back drop is a chess rivalry between "The American" and "The Russian" (ala Fisher and Spasky). Introduce a female and the triangle begins.

"The American" plays for himself, seeks honor and fame for his accomplishments and is very flamboyant. Unfortunately, he is portrayed as quite irrational at times (like I said, Fisher).

"The Russian" plays for the State, but longs for the independence to rise and fall on his own, according to his abilities. He recognizes that when he wins, it's a victory for the state, but when he loses he's the only one who suffers.

One song, at least that's all I can recall, got significant radio airtime "back in the day". That song is "One Night in Bangkok". It's a great song, but my favorite song on the album is (ironically) titled "Anthem". The Russian laments leaving his home country, a land he loves though its been torn apart by the politics of Communism.

Although the original was a "concept" album, it was later turned into a Broadway musical. Of the two recordings, I highly recommend the original. The album cover is black and has an image of a chess board with it's squares falling off into disarray. Those interested can listen to clips on Amazon.com.

I think the parts of it that I like most (story-wise) is the internal struggle experience by the characters, The Russian's struggle for independence and the general romantic feel of the album. The music an lyrics are, in my opinion, masterful.\

I think others on here might enjoy the music and story as well.

Here is a link to a more detailed synopsis of the story for those interested:

Chess

Anyone in here familiar with it?

Yes, quite familar.

I can provide a second "thumbs up" for Chess. And I can provide a little bit more background info I find interesting. As RationalCop mentions, the music was written by Benny Andersson & Bjorn Ulvaeus. These two guy just happen to be the guys from the Swedish pop band ABBA. Tim Rice that wrote the lyrics was Andrew Lloyd Webber's partner for many of his earlier works. In my estimation the best thing Webber & Rice ever wrote together was Jesus Christ Superstar. Next connection is the original recording of JCS featured Murray Head as Judas; Murrary also shows up on the cast recording of Chess. Rice went on to write (among other things) with Elton John for The Lion King. Yuck.

It is an interesting story & uniquely, a bit more intellectual in content & theme than most musical stuff.

A personal connection to Chess: about 12 years ago I played the guitar in the orchestra pit for a 2 week run in a musical theatre playhouse down in Sarasota, FL (where my wife & I lived at the time). So, I got to know the music quite well. :) & I enjoyed it a great deal.

Thanks, RationalCop, for mentioning this excellent work & bringing back some good memories for me!

A personal connection to Chess:  about 12 years ago I played the guitar in the orchestra pit for a 2 week run in a musical theatre playhouse down in Sarasota, FL (where my wife & I lived at the time).  So, I got to know the music quite well.  :)  & I enjoyed it a great deal.

That's cool! And you are welcome. :D

Sidenote:

I started self-teaching myself the guitar about a year ago, though I have never tried any of the Chess material.