Objectivism Online Forum

The Wiki

Rate this topic

No one seems to be using the wiki, GC and I do spam patrol, I've expanded the sections I know something about but it still needs quite a bit of work. The way it's organized like OPAR getting summaries of each chapter in OAPR then getting more info from the other works and your own interpretations... there are always people on here, always posting, when you post about some topic (the theory of government for example) go look at the wiki and update that part of it. If you're not sure what a wiki is, look here this would be a great way for people to (legally) get more then just the basics of Objectivism without spending $100's of dollars on the books (not that I don't think people that are interested won't get the books, especially)

-- NAS

Good idea.

Another possible volunteer project is to take one particular sub-forum (say Metaphysics), and to use the topics there to add to the outline under the relevant section in the Wiki. This doesn't need to involve original content. For starters, it could be something along the lines of. "Under Metaphysics, these are some of the questions that usually arise, and here are links to forum threads that address the issues".

Then, later, other's can "flesh it out" at some point by providing a "in a nutshell" summary of Objectivism's view on the issue, the the thread-link remaining as an additional reference.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking through the wiki lately, and it seems quite a good resource for learning some of the basics, or reminding oneself about something they might not be too clear on. As a relative newcomer to Objectivism, I find the wiki a useful resource.

On a related note...

I have noticed that the Atlas Shrugged section of Wiki books seems pretty incomplete, at least in parts (such as the chapter summaries), so I for one have been making a few improvemens here as well. Maybe some other people here whom understand the novel fairly well could help expand this a bit too.

• 7 months later...

Ok, so I really want to get this project off the ground, so here's what I propose.

I would like to establish a committee of rational minds they would have two roles, at this point.

1. Establish a policy of standards for inclusion, what can be used, the format of the wiki etc.

2. Define the scope of the project what information we want in the wiki, currently it is set up as a beginners guide, however I could envision it including a new users section and essays on philosophy, science etc. written, edited and peer reviewed by the community on advanced topics.

Ideally I would like at least six other people with at least a moderate understanding of Objectivism to help with this, however, however many qualified people that want to help can, and this in no way stops anyone from adding content as needed.

If you want to help, there's a few things you need to do.

1. Go register with an account on the wiki here preferably with a name similar to the one you use on the fourms.

2. Post a message here stating that you would like to help with the project. (put "# I would like to help out in the project [or other message here] ~~~~" the # will number you and the four tildes (~~~~) will sign and date your comment.

3. Come back to the fourm and post in this topic your username (or you can just PM it to me), to verify your identity.

Hope to see you all there!

-- NAS (Crazynas on the wiki)