Objectivism Online Forum

Fascinating Ayn Rand Characters

Rate this topic

AutoJC

Herbert Shelton was definitely NOT an Objectivist. :P

No kidding!

Good old Herbert Shelton.... What do doctors know about disease? They are together with their patients, "a blind man at the helm." Let's all fast and wash our hands. The guy worships ancient tribes and disdains modern medicine, for christ sake.

The only quack I want to hear is from a duck, not from the holistic natural hygiene crowd! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Kira, Kira all the way for my favorite female character. Her passion is evident in everything she does, in how she strives for life and her own happiness. I was almost named for her and will instead give the name to my daughter should I have one.

Favorite male character, I have to say Fransisco. He is most romantically portrayed, beautiful, fully human man in Rand's books. After reading AS at 13, I named my teddy bear after him! (Girls, I'm sure you hear me! :pimp:) I would give Hank Rearden a second place for his drive and passion for life.

It would have to be Roark with close seconds. I love the idea of novel writing because it is the closest a human being can come to being a god. One creates one’s own universe and one’s own heroes and one can see it vividly before one’s eyes. With Roark, Ayn Rand comes closest to giving us intimacy with a god. Galt is only seen through other peoples’ eyes—there is no Galt experience without other people. With Roark, sexually, Ayn Rand achieved more than Hugo did with Quasimodo. I mean that Roark is merely homely and yet extremely “sexy”. I love the part when all it takes is a few mean looks, and a slap in the face with a branch, and he knows his beloved so well, so soon, that he knows he has the right to take her. The experience of the entire novel of Atlas Shrugged is of a military nature. Galt is the commander-in-chief in a crucial battle. It is hard to want him romantically if one keeps the context of the entire novel.

And then there is Francisco. He’s better than Cyrano. He is more like myself in spirit, not achievement. My sense of life is his. When I’m confident and happy I delight in being as daring as he. His irony and sense of poetic justice makes me melt. His utter passion for Dagny I can relate with. I love to meet the people of natural ability in my life and with Francisco’s example I realized that so much ability is possible even to me. It’s a matter of psycho-epistemology.

And then there’s Prometheus. He’s so innocent, so beautifully souled. I may never have a son but if I did, I see him. He has so much potential and there is so much to teach him. The injustice of his situation is cathartic for our own experience of injustice by the collective.

And then there’s Hugh Akston. I would love to be an expert on the Aristotelian Corpus. His endeavor is more closer to mine than all the rest.

And then there’s Ragnar “Danish Gold”. A BEAUTIFUL philosopher. A concretization of “mind-body unity” and the “benevolence of the universe” and “eudemonia”. He’s even more fascinating because he’s a military man: how could one bare to see such a beautiful mind and soul risk his life in battle?

Psychologically, I find fascinating Wynand and Mallory. Wynand because he brings Nietzsche into better focus, and over the years I have come to find this type quite amusing. Mallory because he represents a dilemma that I certainly have gone through: fear of the “hatred of the good for being the good.”

Americo.

Roark hands down; I've never encountered a character in fiction that I liked even half as much as Roark. From Atlas Shrugged, Ragner seemed pretty good, but he wasn't really featured in that many scence, which I thought was a mistake because his potential was enormous (although I suppose you could argue that Ragner wasnt really that necessary to the main story, so spending more time with him might have caused the novel to become fragmented).