Objectivism Online Forum

The Way We Live Now

Rate this topic

"The Way We Live Now" is a television adaptation of Anthony Trollope's novel by the same name (4 episodes of 2.5 hrs each). David Suchet (from the Poirot series) is skillful in the lead, as financier Augustus Melmotte.

It's a story of a stock booster and the various "respectable" society folk who befriend him and come along for the ride. It is also a story where the female characters are looking for "good" marriages of convenience [echoes of "Pride and Prejudice" here]. The men are cynical about the link between production and value; the women are cynical about the link between love and marriage.

In the midst of these folk, are a few incorruptible men and women: the man who really wants to build a great railroad, the newspaper editor who will not compromise for fear or favor, the woman who rather be a spinster than be married to a man who loves her dearly but whom she does not love in return. Who will win, the viewer is led to ask? Should we simply accept that this is "the way we live now", and go along with "the flow"?

For me, the one thing that detracts is that the story gives most of the action and tempo to the lead villain.

Also, if you dislike movies that where the lead role is a swindler-businessman, you should probably skip this one; but, if you can live with the plot-theme, this is a good movie. For me, the plot-theme resonanted because it paralleled the seedier side of recent "internet-boom" of which I was part: I knew folk like Melmotte.

Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10.