Objectivism Online Forum

The Importance Of Relationships

Rate this topic

As I first read through Ayn Rand, I left with the impression that relationships are not very important and that you should be able to get along without them. This might sound ridiculous to some of you, but for a long time I was genuinely astonished at my loneliness. I have since spent some time rethinking my initial conclusion, but I don't feel I have made much headway. Much to my dismay, the only remedy I have discovered for my loneliness is new friends. But I still think that I shouldn't need friendships and relationships.

So what are your thoughts on the importance of relationships, and why? Can someone live a sane life without human interaction? Does circumstance play in? For instance, I have theorized that with the available option of daily relationships, a person would be miserable not to take part. However, living alone on a desert island facing no foreseeable contact with other humans, he may be fine.

As I first read through Ayn Rand, I left with the impression that relationships are not very important ... ..
It isn't that relationships aren't very important, but they are not primary. There was an earlier thread on loneliness, that might address some of your questions.