Objectivism Online Forum

Greetings From Kentucky

Rate this topic

Hello, my name is Chris Rothbauer. I'm 23 years old from Louisville, Kentucky. I discovered Ayn Rand's book in January and, so far, I've read all of her non-fiction books (except for a few essays from The Voice of Reason) and am in the process of reading Atlas Shrugged (it's such a complicated book that it has taken me since January to get through it but I'm almost there).

When I discovered Ayn Rand, I'd been struggling with depression since my teenage years. You see, I had been an active Christian since 6th grade and believed I had been "called" by God to be a minister. The church's teachings, however, conflicted with something I had been hiding all of my life: the fact that I am gay.

When I discovered the rational ethics of objectivity, my mind was complete chaos. I believed many things and didn't know why I believed them. My beliefs often changed from day to day and I could never be sure of myself.

Objectivism and rationality gave me an anchor. I know I still have a long way to go before my mind is completely rational but I am on my way.

I actually discovered this forum by accident and look forward to posting in it.

Yours,

Chris