Objectivism Online Forum

Video On How To Think Properly (advice Wanted)

Rate this topic

Today I went and bought a Digital camera because I wanted to keep track of my physical progress in bodybuilding (of which there isn't much yet). However when I got it home and started playing with it I realized that it had a video capture feature which lasts nearly 25 minutes. On top of it the quality of the video is surprisingly good. Cool!

So I got to thinking that I would create a video blog for my bodybuilding where people can watch me try a lot of different things and see if I got anywhere with it. Then I thought of an even better idea. I noticed that on sites like YouTube and Google Video there is a real lack of anything useful, most of it is just poor entertainment (in my experiance) so I thought, why not create useful educational videos which are based on a lot of Ayn Rand's ideas? I think that would really be fantastic, I mean personally I would have loved to seen such a thing when I was first getting into Objectivism especially if it was interesting. Heck I'd love to see that now!

My idea to make video's that are appealing on thier own, or rather to as broad a base of people as possible. So instead of creating something like "Introduction to Objectivist Metaphysics and Epistemology" I would much more likely create something like "Learn how to think properly" or something to that effect. The people who would actually be interested in the former is quite small and more than likely won't be interested in introductory info anyway, whereas there is a fair amount of people who might be interested in learning to think properly or "learning to use logic".

The other thing is that I'm not really planning on harping on the issues of Objectivism or laying them out like: existance exists, indentity, causuality, etc. I'm more or less going to try to create some value for the people who might see it. Create interesting situations that they could consider and then show them how thinking will be useful and how not thinking properly can/does hurt. I most certainly will get to those issues and put all of them in order but I think I have to (1) get people interested (2) get people to follow it logically. So in essence my plan is to make a useful lessen and then at the end point people towards Ayn Rand if they want to learn more.

So in essence what I would like to know from anyone who wishes to comment on it is:

1) What do you think of this idea? Good or Bad and Why?

2) What everday topics do you think Objectivism can help with that might make a good lesson?

3) Since my first lesson will be about learning how to think properly what important points do you think I should be sure to bring up? (other than existance exists, existance has identity and causuality).

4) What do you think a good title would be for that lesson? "How to think properly", "How logic works"? I'm open to anything so please do tell.

Thanks for any and all advice. You don't need to worry about holding back, I'm gonna do it pretty much regardless so might as well help me go in the right direction :-)