Objectivism Online Forum

One Right

Rate this topic

I've opened a web site about 2 months ago about individual rights the purpose of which is to research individual rights, starting from the very beginning - at right to life. Although Objectivism offers reasons for existence of individual rights, I've decided not to burden the site with that except when giving a reference. Individual rights is a concept built on other, more fundamental concepts, and the purpose of the site is to research that concept.

Research has reached the point of defining rights which are consequences of the right to the pursuit of happiness. They are all listed, but their definitions are still vague until better ones are found.

If you'd like to assist in this research, there are several ways you can do this.

Join the forum on the site for discussions about the site's current content.

Send an essay or article which has to do with individual rights to my e-mail.

Devise a good definition of one of the listed rights (one better that the one already listed) and give your reasons why you think it is better.

Suggest terms for dictionary and their definitions.

Suggest a new individual right and show how it is related to other rights (if possible in the same manner as provided on the site), give its definition, etc.

The link to the site and the forum is in my signature. If you'd like to e-mail me, use the link in the "Contact" section on my site.

Although Objectivism offers reasons for existence of individual rights, I've decided not to burden the site with that except when giving a reference. Individual rights is a concept built on other, more fundamental concepts, and the purpose of the site is to research that concept

Explain this in further detail please. Individual Rights built on other, more fundamental concepts than...what Rand stated?

Explain this in further detail please.  Individual Rights built on other, more fundamental concepts than...what Rand stated?

I guess I haven't made myself clear enough.

Ayn Rand was the one who gave those more fundamental concepts and these (the ones she gave) are more fundamental than individual rights. It is the concepts defined/found by her that the concept of individual rights is based on.

This is why I don't want to discuss them on my site. They've already been defined, proven and even concretized. If anyone wishes to learn about them, I'll point him or her to relevant literature.