Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivism v. Libertarianism

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I have recently discovered this site, and have found it incredibly interesting and thought-provoking. While I cannot call myself an Objectivist, due in part to the fact that I do not yet understand all of the aspects of the philosophy, I am an admirer of most of its aspects I do understand. There is one thing that I have a question about, and I couldn't find any previous topic regarding it, though it very well might have been discussed before. That question is what exactly is the conflict between Libertarianism and Objectivism? Now, I would not consider myself a Libertarian as such, though there are parts of that ideology I agree with (and others I disagree with). My lack of understanding may stem from misconceptions regarding Libertarianism, or misconceptions regarding Objectivism, or a combination of the two. It seems to me however, that the Libertarian ideology is quite similar to Objectivist teachings, at least when looking at the points in their teachings that overlap. Now, just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, I am not trolling to create an argument, nor am I trying to push Libertarianism as a superior system to Objectivism, but I honestly would appreciate some feedback on what the actual points of conflict between the ideological system of Libertarianism and the philosophical system of Objectivism are. Thanks in advance.

Mike.