Objectivism Online Forum

The Illusionist

Rate this topic

DavidV

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread for this movie. In a year of utterly mediocre movies, I think this is by far the best. I don't really have anything to add to Scott Holleran's review (whose recommendations I follow religiously): http://www.boxofficemojo.com/reviews/?id=2143&p=.htm

I thought it was pretty cool although I am growing tired of these "surprise" endings. Sure a good surprise is nice, and there should be suspense and a sense of "Oh, yeah..." But a lot of these movies center around these huge plot twists (think M. Knight Shaymalan). It's a little insulting to my intelligence.

I'm not sure what you call a "huge" plot twist, but I had figured out the ending about halfway into the movie.

Anyway, surprise plot twists are what makes movies interesting. They are only problematic when they conflict with the movie's central theme - such as the "morality lesson" thrown in at the end of a film full of pottie humor. In this case the twist is a perfect match to the main character's style.

I am not saying that they were trying to be misleading, and maybe its not the plot twist itself that is insultijng but how they act when they reveal it. Yes I too had figured it out pretty quick, but the way they go back over the things that happened as if we were morons. I know that they are covering their bases for the least common denominator, but I like it much more when you understand those things that click after the revelation the second time you watch the movie, instead of all the flashbacks.