Objectivism Online Forum

DIM Hypothesis Course Available Free

Rate this topic

By Diana from NoodleFood,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Given the ongoing debate on Dr. Peikoff's statement about the election, this announcement from ARI offering free access to his DIM Hypothesis course couldn't be more perfectly timed.

Leonard Peikoff's The DIM Hypothesis available FREE at aynrand.org!

Next summer, Objectivist Summer Conference 2007 will present a new lecture series by Leonard Peikoff, presenting a detailed examination of his forthcoming book, The DIM Hypothesis.

For a limited time, as a prelude to this event, we are able to present to you, free of charge, a streaming audio recording of the original lecture series, delivered in 2004, in which Dr. Peikoff gave the first detailed presentation of his exciting new theory. Listeners are invited to experience this course as a document of the early development of Dr. Peikoff's latest work.

Streaming audio links for the course can be found online at the Ayn Rand Institute's Registered User Page. (If you aren't yet registered, registration is fast, free and easy--just click to register now!) Audio streams are available in both RealMedia and Windows Media formats.

LISTEN NOW:

http://www.aynrand.org/site/R?i=iiaa_pV9ufTws1U7BfjLzA

FREE REGISTRATION:

http://www.aynrand.org/site/R?i=VwUIJ2nKQqhyQbZypTpVcw

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

This 15-session course--part lecture, part discussion--was presented live to a worldwide audience by phone and on the Internet. It is based on Dr. Peikoff's "The DIM Hypothesis" (book-in-progress), in which he looks at the role of integration in the culture and in practical life.

This course explains and explores Dr. Peikoff's new DIM hypothesis, applying it to ten different cultural areas, as listed in the course outline. The hypothesis identifies and distinguishes three types of mind: the mind characterized by I (Integration); by D (Disintegration); or by M (Misintegration). In the sessions Dr. Peikoff points out how all of the influential movements in the areas included reflect--and could only have been created by--one or another of these three mind sets. If enhancing your understanding of today's world and of where we are heading is an important concern of yours, Dr. Peikoff believes that you will find a DIM perspective on events to be of significant value.

As Dr. Peikoff recently explained: "[M]y thesis is that the dominant trends in every key area can be defined by their leaders' policy toward integration: they are against it (Disintegration, D); they are for it, if it conforms to reality (Integration, I); they are for it, if it conforms to a superior reality (Misintegration, M)."

Please don't comment upon the election in response to this post. I have a fairly long essay on that topic that I'll be posting later today. I'd rather that all hell break loose after I've said my part.

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/blog/archives/002073.html