Objectivism Online Forum

Imus and the Postmodern Sublime

Rate this topic

Korthor

Perhaps the only good thing to come out of the Imus controversy is the most meta-meta-meta moment in cable news history.

The clip leads with a scene of a TV in the middle of the studio. The TV is playing a clip from The Daily Show showing clips from cable news commentators repeating Imus’s comments. For those in the audience counting, that’s MSNBC—Comedy Central--MSNBC/Fox/CNN—MSNBC. That’s at least three levels of additional mediation after Imus’s comments. That’s why I love America.

If you want to see the original (if that’s the right word), it’s the clip “Shock Waves” on the Scarborough Country section of the MSNC TV website…

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3096434/

Here's a direct link.

I see a lot of this from cable news. "Here's what [other news outlet] had to say!" I think it this case it was done for comedy's sake, but often it's done out of pure journalistic laziness. Either that or modern cable news journalists actually believe journalism only requires the ability to operate a remote.

-Q

I agree, but I wanted everyone to stop and marvel for a second.

Has anyone ever seen a cable news network report on a what a comedy show reported on what other cable news networks reported about what their own network said?

Ladies and gentleman, we've entered the looking-glass...