Objectivism Online Forum

Debate Help

Rate this topic

I am working with two friends (coaching) who are going to debate the following topic (on the negative)

RESOLVED: All young adults in every nation should be required to perform at least one full year of national service.

I'm trying to come up with examples where people have been required to do national service to the detriment of their own self interest.

One example that I have thought of is Communist Russia. In We The Living it mentions that people are required to go to communist rallies and basically be "re-educated."

What other empirical examples of harmful collectivist national service could we use to to totally debunk this resolution?

Any help would be more than appreciated.

I am working with two friends (coaching) who are going to debate the following topic (on the negative)

RESOLVED: All young adults in every nation should be required to perform at least one full year of national service....

Any help would be more than appreciated.

Have you searched the ARI web site. I recall there was a big campaign against service a few years ago, and I remember a wealth of material that was collected. Even op-eds, I believe. That might be a good starting point.