Objectivism Online Forum

Transformers.

Rate this topic

The focus of this movie was not altruism, but was instead robots kicking ass!

I never said it was. i said only that i don't like movies with altruistic main heroes.

I understand getting a feel for a movie to decide whether you want to spend (in this case almost three) hours watching it, but if you're staying away because you don't want to be subjected to altruism propaganda, you're staying away for a made-up reason. A few lines and a shaky plot does not propaganda make!

I never said it was propoganda. I said Optimus Prime's actions in regards to one element of the movie were altruistic. The two are quite different.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What evidence did you use to arrive at the conclusion that Optimus Prime was altruistic? Was it the TV show you never saw?

Actually, i did see the original cartoon, both first and second generation versions. Oh, and the original movie, the animated movie.

The movie you never watched?

No, the altruistic nature of letting Section 7 keep Bumblebee.

Or was it the made-up scenario in which not just Section 7, but the whole planet was responsible for kidnapping Bumble-Bee?

No! I blatently said that I was talking about a hypothetical situation involving me and not something I thought was in the movie. So, clearly I never thought it was part of the movie.

Because, guess what, Optimus Prime is not in fact altruistic.

Sorry, but letting people steal the freedom of your friend and then saving them is altruistic.

He is responsible, and therefore will do everything in his power to make sure that the humans don't suffer for things they didn't do.

I was talking about Section 7 not all humanity. Besides, he should be valuing his friend above people he does not know. And that is what I am judging, not the things you think I am.

But, of course, if you saw the movie, you could judge this for yourself. If you don't want to see the movie, that's all right, there are tons of movies I never get around to seeing, but don't make up a baseless reason not to do so.

No, thinking he should save his friend before strangers is hardly baseless. It is in fact what he should do and doing otherwise is a lack of correct priorities.

1) I don't consider a movie with an altruistic main hero a good movie, and 2) I am judging it for myself. I am judging Optimus Prime's altruism for myself.

No, you are not. You don't know if Optimus Prime's actions were altruistic or not because you haven't seen the movie. You are judging some other people's descriptions of the movie, not the movie itself. Others, such as myself, don't agree that it was as altruistic as some people think it is, if at all. I suggested in one of my posts why I thought their actions were not so altruistic.

There are other things going on in the movie when the decision is made not to rescue Bumblebee. The decision not to do so could very well have been a tactical decision that best suited their (self-interested) mission at the time it was made. But you can't judge that for youself because you have seen the movie and it's entire context.

If you had seen the movie and came to your own conclusions, even in disagreement with mine or others, I could at least respect that. However, you are coming to a second-handed conclusion about the value and/or quality of the movie. I don't care if you don't go see the movie, but your opinion of it (without having seen it) has zero validity.

Edited by RationalBiker

However, you are coming to a second-handed conclusion about the value and/or quality of the movie. I don't care if you don't go see the movie, but your opinion of it (without having seen it) has zero validity.

Fine, here is a first-handed reason for you, one that has more to do with my not seeing the movie than the altruism statements above: I lost all interest in the transformers a while ago.

P.S. Even more importantly still, I cannot afford to go to the movies.

Edited by DragonMaci

Don't get me wrong, I am actually quite interested in the idea of sapient robots. However, I lost interest in those particular sapient robots some time after seeing the animated Transformers movie. No, it was not because of the movie. In fact many parts of the movie interested me when I watched it. For example, Eric Idle doing the voiceover for one of the Junkbots. However, sometime after seeing the movie (I donot recall when), I lost interest.

Edited by DragonMaci

Fine, here is a first-handed reason for you, one that has more to do with my not seeing the movie than the altruism statements above: I lost all interest in the transformers a while ago.

But then, why are you in this thread, writing random baseless opinions about a movie that you not only haven't seen, but apparently have no interest in at all in the first place?

But then, why are you in this thread, writing random baseless opinions about a movie that you not only haven't seen, but apparently have no interest in at all in the first place?

Well, at the time I came here I was hoping to see somenting that made it seem more interesting than the cartoon.