Objectivism Online Forum

Moving to Manhattan!

Rate this topic

Hi all! Due to a busy summer I haven't really been able to post much, but I thought I'd update you guys on my life.

My family found out around February that my father had to move to New York for work, and we eventually decided that it would be best for me (at the time a high school junior) to graduate early over the summer then go to New York in the fall and take college courses. So, I've been spending the summer taking online courses to finish high school, and I am signed up to take classes at Baruch College for at least fall semester next year (I plan to apply to the colleges I had planned on applying to anyway during the regular application pool in December, and I plan to apply as a Freshman, not a transfer). This is an amazing move on three levels. One, I will no longer have to go through anything Jewish (I went to a Jewish high school), in fact I will never again have any Jewish association. Two, I will be able to attend college courses at a much more challenging level than was avaliable at my highschool. Three, most relevant to those here and to the topic title, I will be living in Manhattan! I will be living on 20th St. NW between 5th and 6th avenues, and I can't wait. I know a few people here live in the city, and I would be very interested in meeting with you at some point, just to have an interaction with a rational person away from a computer screen.

Ok, my post is really long-winded already, and I'm waking up early tomorrow, so I'll finish this here.

Howdy,

My fiancee Kelly and I live in Rockland county (about 35 miles NW of Manhattan), and we come to the city often. We have several friends who live in The Village, so we get out that way a lot. If you ever make it to any of the NYU Objectivist Club events or the Hero's Hikes, you'll likely see us there. Look for the big bald redneck with a sweet voluptuous Jewish girl on his arm. That'll be us.

Welcome to the Big Apple.

--Dan Edge

Glad you like NY. I lived in NY for about 6 months and I found that I did not like the frantic pace of life there. That and the fact that there is a disproportionate amount of rude and aggressive people, whether you're on the street, on the road, at work, or at a bar. On top of all of that a beer costs about 10 dollars at a bar and a pack of cigarettes cost about 8 dollars.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my bags are packed, I'm ready to go... Today's the day! I've got a few things to finish up around here, then I'm getting on the 16:00 New Century Travel Chinatown Bus and heading to my new home!