Objectivism Online Forum

The Astronaut Farmer

Rate this topic

*** Please note that there are few plot spoilers here - rather, it's a review of the film's thematic and character elements. If you wish to skip the below text, here's the summary: see this movie ASAP!!! ***

I just finished watching The Astronaut Farmer, and I must say that this is one heck of an inspiring film!!

Charlie Farmer (Billy Bob Thornton) has always dreamt of going into space, and works relentlessly to achieve that dream by building a rocket in his barn. He had been a pilot, and trained at NASA, but left the program, yet his dream lived on. His friends dismiss him, the town bets against him, people think he's crazy, and the only support he gets is from his wife, Audrey (Virginia Madsen), and his kids.

Farmer's troubles begin when he attempts to buy rocket fuel, which isn't quite legal, and this brings the attention of the FBI. When the news media hears about it, they bring national attention onto Farmer - some good, some bad. Farmer had applied for an FAA permit, but they never responded, so he assumed he was okay to launch. Now that things look serious, though, the government wakes up and pays close attention ...

While some movie-goers might think The Astronaut Farmer is a schmaltzy "follow your dreams, no matter what" kind of film, or see it as a kind-of dilluted, surface-level, Disney-ized kids' movie (it's most definitely not), this is exactly the kind of film that an Objectivist could value. Here are some thematic & character elements that ought to be of interest:

1. Farmer is a determined, proactive protagonist - he is working to achieve a goal despite great opposition, using his mind, and not allowing anything to stop him, be it the doubt of former colleagues or mounting debt.

2. Farmer recognizes, and states, that no one can tell him what he can't do - he treats direct government intimidation and threats as merely an annoyance.

3. Farmer is the individual versus the state. He is the representation of a man's "unalienable right", and that the state can only stop him by force.

4. Given the object of his dreams - building a rocket that will send him into orbit - Farmer's quest is wholly a benevolent-universe product. He isn't an artist for whom someone else gives him a break - there's no luck factor, or chance, or divine providence - he's an engineer creating a machine that must work if he is to survive the journey.

5. The film is a glorification of achievement, heroism, and triumph.

6. Farmer is a man of principle translating his principles into physical reality. There is no "fatal flaw", no quirk of character one must overlook. There is an insinuation that his quest is tied to the story about his father, but it's not some "psychological imperative" premise that propels him as one scene reveals - it is completely about achieving a dream.

The important elements in this movie speak directly to Ayn Rand's sense of life, and others also speak directly to her Romanticism and literary style (such as the goal-oriented protagonist driving the plot).

There are a couple of insignificant nods that are unObjectivist - one scene shows the family preparing to leave for church during a particularly difficult trial, for instance - but, really, this sentence is far weightier than the scene is worth ... and by the end, there's not a church in sight.

The Astronaut Farmer comes highly recommended by this Objectivist devotee. Don't just put this on your NetFlix list - go buy it. If you are inspired by stories of heroism, this is a wonderful film. There should be many, many more like it. I fully plan on sending emails of praise to Mr. Thornton, Ms. Madsen, the director, producer, and writer of this film, as well as anyone I can find who was associated with this movie. (I'll take some time to carefully craft my letter, and once I am done, I will post it here for all to read.)

For any Objectivist parents out there, there are a few instances of language, but they're glossed over quickly - I say with confidence (even though I'm not a parent) that there is nothing at all inappropriate about this film ... in fact, if you have a movie night or regular family activity times, make this movie part of it.

I highly recommend this film as well. I saw it when it came out in theaters. As a person who has been designing and building my own motorcycle of a rather different type of design for about 5 years now, the theme of this movie resonated very strongly with me. It's a great, inspiring, and uplifting film.

I would also highly recommend "The Worlds Fastest Indian" a true story inspired by New Zealand's Burt Monro, who built a 1970's world record holding motorcycle on his own in his shed out of a 50 year old indian motorcycle.

It looked so "out there" when the previews were showing, so I'm glad to hear some positive feedback. I'll have to check it out. I really liked Billy Bob in Slingblade, and although he seems a little on the bizarre side in real life, I usually like his acting gigs.

It looked so "out there" when the previews were showing, so I'm glad to hear some positive feedback. I'll have to check it out. I really liked Billy Bob in Slingblade, and although he seems a little on the bizarre side in real life, I usually like his acting gigs.

They didn't market this movie as well as they should have. With some films, the studio will cut different trailers to attract different demographics. This is one of the reasons why you sometimes go see a comedy, but all the gags are in the trailers, leaving nothing to laugh at. (Ivan Reitman films like My Super Ex-Girlfiend are notorious for this.)

I vaguely remember the marketing for Farmer being tailored for the family-oriented soccer-mom/NASCAR-dad crowd. It's not surprising since that's a tremendous demographic. However, one had to look closely to see this had potential as a heroic film, and I'm glad I saw it. The "supportive family" angle is a bit over-played in the film, but it didn't get in the way of my enjoying the film. In fact, Farmer has a beautiful family which the audience doesn't have to take for granted.

Edited by synthlord

• 8 months later...
I would also highly recommend "The Worlds Fastest Indian" a true story inspired by New Zealand's Burt Monro, who built a 1970's world record holding motorcycle on his own in his shed out of a 50 year old indian motorcycle.
Just saw this movie and loved it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Apart from being about the a man trying to acheive his dream, the script-writer and director created a movie that takes a very benevolent view of the world and of other people. The tone reminded me of "Good Copy".

I also enjoyed watching the profile of the real-life Burt Munro in the special features.