4 Gmail Invitations

Yeah, I am really looking forward to when it is made open to everyone else. I am not a big fan of hotmail (which I currently have). Gmail seems like a creative new alternative.

not many in the race…

i will grab the opportunity…

my bidding is based on the contributions i am soon going to make to the aesthetics forum…some original ideas of mine…

well, to make a stronger case ,i will divulge some details—i will present you all an artform that i have created and its relation to me being a student of objectivism.

also an active participation ,mainly asking questions, is all i can promise for now…

BTW - Yahoo just updated its free offering to 100MB, and its paid offering to 2GB. Certainly better than Hotmail.

thanks for the Yahoo info

BTW - Yahoo just updated its free offering to 100MB, and its paid offering to 2GB. Certainly better than Hotmail.

I’m wondering if and/or when Hotmail is going to follow suit in this war.

Perhaps you’ll should try out rediff.com too. They just upgraded their free service to 1GB of email space.

Gmail has sent all the email service providers on the run and each one is now offering better services. Great, isn’t it??

Dinesh.

Please pardon my ignorance (I live in a very limited world and am confined to whatever webtv lets me do – which isn’t much), but what is GMail?

Please pardon my ignorance (I live in a very limited world and am confined to whatever webtv lets me do – which isn’t much), but what is GMail?

A new webbased email service (think yahoo/hotmail) provided by google. Its not opened up to the public as of yet, but there’s a beta currently in progress where a limited amount of people have been invited to create an account. It’s become quite famous already, mainly because a) it offers people a ludicrous amount of free space (1 GB, as compared to the 10 meg or so previously offered by yahoo/hotmail), and B) privacy concerns since the terms of service give google the right to read and store your emails in order to ‘provide’ you with advertisments that they believe will suit your needs.

I have four invitations myself, and I’d like to offer them to the members of the forum, outside of the incentive program. If you would like one, email me at [email protected].

…privacy concerns since the terms of service give google the right to read and store your emails in order to ‘provide’ you with advertisments that they believe will suit your needs.

I don’t think this is quite correct. My understanding from reading their privacy policy is that no actual people will read your email, but rather only that they may be scanned by an automated system (which I imagine just searches for certain keywords) which will then use information it might find in them to personalize the google ads that may appear at the side of the window. I not only have no problem with that, I think it’s a great idea. If I’m going to be advertised at while using a free web-based email program, I’d much rather see ads tailored to my own interests than just any random stuff. I think that’s better for me, for google, and for the advertisers.

Right. Listen not to the fear mongers.

Gmail is great. As for an automatic scanning of your mail - this is the same thing that Spam filters do - and every e-mail service today has them.

Alright, I am making this a free for all. Anyone with 50+ posts can message me for a Gmail account. Please include your email and first/last name. I will even accept a rain check for 50+ posts if you aren’t quite there yet.

Howdy all,

To be honest I had no idea what Gmail was until I read this thread. I was inspired to look it up.

Pretty neat concept. I just did a lot of reading on it. The pro’s seem to outweigh the cons. There seems to be a lot of paranoia out there regarding this application. To be honest at first my reaction was to reject the idea of it. But as all that I read digested in my brain, I realized that monitoring email is just as easy a feat as monitoring phone calls, both cellular and land line.

Sadly I only have 37 posts. Guess I better get cracking if I want one.

Let me repeat my last post:

I will even accept a rain check for 50+ posts if you aren’t quite there yet.

Howdy all,

To be honest I had no idea what Gmail was until I read this thread.  I was inspired to look it up.

Pretty neat concept.  I just did a lot of reading on it.  The pro’s seem to outweigh the cons.  There seems to be a lot of paranoia out there regarding this application.  To be honest at first my reaction was to reject the idea of it.  But as all that I read digested in my brain, I realized that monitoring email is just as easy a feat as monitoring phone calls, both cellular and land line.

Sadly I only have 37 posts.  Guess I better get cracking if I want one.

Those of you with any paranoia regarding gmail privacy issues are morons. Plain and simple. You act is if gmail is the only email provider that does this; they are not. Yahoo! Mail does the same thing, but not only do they target adds to what you’re reading, they also place cookies all over the place in order to keep track of exactly where you’ve been and what you’ve done/looked at.

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

I would like to take the rain check.

My name is George Moore

Email- [email protected]

Thanks GreedyCapitalist

Those of you with any paranoia regarding gmail privacy issues are morons.  Plain and simple.  You act is if gmail is the only email provider that does this; they are not.  Yahoo! Mail does the same thing, but not only do they target adds to what you’re reading, they also place cookies all over the place in order to keep track of exactly where you’ve been and what you’ve done/looked at.

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

Yahoo! web-beacons aren’t even remotely similar to what gmail is doing. Perhaps you should endeavour to understand the precise issues that people have with gmail’s privacy policy before you accuse them of being ‘morons’.

Those of you with any paranoia regarding gmail privacy issues are morons.  Plain and simple.

That’s a pretty sweeping indictment. Are you sure this one particular issue is enough to qualify someone for moron status?

VES

Sorry I must be dense. What is it you are soliciting? For which website? This one (forum) or some other?

Barstool , if you are convinced that nothings wrong with gmail’s privacy policy then go ahead and use the service, but let other people judge for themselves. Calling them morons for such a thing is really absurd!!

I have wholly shifted my mailing needs to gmail too, and I personally have no problems with their privacy policy. Let others here think for themselves, and they will eventually reach the right decision. So next time please refrain from such stupidity.

aynfan , again you have posted without stating who it is you are addressing. I think someone warned you about this before too, right? You ought to have enough intelligence to understand why I or the rest have been telling you this, so please don’t do it again.

Dinesh.