So, no matter what I do, I cannot escape moral guilt? I don’t buy that. As you noted, it is impossible to escape to a place that is morally perfect. I cannot be held morally guilty for circumstances which are beyond my control.
They aren’t beyond your control. You are performing a cost/benefit analysis that puts the choice squarely on your shoulders. Should you choose to reject all immoral action by any state in which you participate, then you have only choice – but that choice is available. Like I said, it is a cost/benefit analysis. I don’t think there is one among us who wouldn’t leap at the chance for a successful revolution resulting in an Objectivist state. But until that is a possibility, we take what we can get.
Are you prepared to back up your contention that people stay in oppressive nations “out of volition, and no other reason?” That statement is ignorant at best and downright stupid at worst.
Ridiculous. It is a cost/benefit analysis. I don’t know how many times I have to say it. Have you read We The Living yet? I would bet money that Kira would back me up on what I’m saying.
Yes, people can try to leave, but there is a high probability that they will be killed in the process.
That depends on the state, and is part of the cost/benefit analysis. It doesn’t wipe the analysis or the choice out of existence. It’s always possible, and the choice always exists. Ask every person that successfully fled East Berlin if its possible or not.
So what you’re essentially saying is that people living in oppressive nations have moral responsibility to commit suicide.
Absolutely not. They have the moral responsbility to make the best for their lives which is open to their choice. That choice includes suicide, but does not automatically mean its the correct choice. There is a cost/benefit analysis one must perform to come to the correct conclusion.
You are engaging in collectivism by taking the unwilling inhabitants of despotic regimes and lumping them in with the despots themselves.
That’s not collectivism. That’s reality. A nation is group of people who control the final say over the use of force within a geographic region – and that means everyone that contributes to that state. A war among nations is a war between all of the people in one geographic region against all the people in another one. No one within those two states is left out of the war simply because they don’t like to face the fact that they chose to help make it happen, and the means by which they made that choice. But made it they did.
By your logic, everytime the government oversteps its bounds by a millimeter, the people should rise up in violent revolution and overthrow and it is immoral not to do so.
No, but that makes it possible to evade the choices you’ve made if it were true. As I’ve repeated many times now, it is a cost/benefit anaylsis. At some point, the people should rise up, yes. But certainly not everytime the government oversteps its bounds by a millimeter. When it completely disregards the bounds, that’s another story.
Yes, I can refuse to pay my taxes if I wish. Now which is in my self-interests: pay my taxes and still lead a happy, though somewhat less luxurious life, or go to jail?
This is exactly the cost/benefit analysis I’ve been talking about! Why do you reject that a choice exists and then explain exactly how you’ve gone about making that choice? It boggles the mind. Just because the choice is obvious in your case doesn’t mean it isn’t a choice.