Well then, so you either would not approve of somebody doing what Dagny did in real life (there is a case in The Fountainhead where I can see why something would work in the book, but not in real life, but the reason that applies there doesn’t apply here) or you do not believe such a situation (or one with relevant similarities at least) is possible in real life. Alright, I’ll proceed then. I really wish I could come up with a shorter version of this next thing . . .
(True) story time again. When I was 18 I got into my first romantic relationship under unusual circumstances which meant I kind of had to rush into things more than I would have chosen to do otherwise. Things went pretty darn well for a couple years, though there were some spots of lingering conflict that we hoped to work out eventually. Somewhere between two and three years into things, a HUGE unexpected problem came up. We almost broke up quite a few times (me being the one almost getting dumped in all these cases, I was a wreck about that) while trying to sort the problem out. Something else came up after a few months which rendered that initial problem pretty much a non-issue anymore, though not for positive reasons. While the problem was going on and we were trying to work things out I learned some things I had never expected about and never heard about from my mate. This meant that while the first crisis was done, now there were new problems left. We kept trying to work it out because we did care about each other a lot, but things got pretty stuck in the mud before long. A couple years of this kind of situation went on. Eventually it got to where doing things to try to sort things out not only were getting nowhere fast, they were making me start to dread talking to my mate because every time we did it involved these stressful, fruitless topics. At this point I might have decided to try just being friends, but one of the unexpected things I found out during the initial problem was that the person I was with never kept in contact with people after breakups because he didn’t think he could get over the breakup otherwise. The prospect of entirely losing him was awful so I was very hesitant to give up resolving our conflicts. I couldn’t even try calling it quits just to release some of the pressure of the situation and see if maybe under calmer circumstances and getting back to just having a good time being around each other if things could eventually work out since a break up was a break up as far as he was concerned and he would have to take the same cutting off contact route as he always did no matter why we broke up. He had moved across the country a little while back for various reasons, but eventually came back to my area once for a few days while he was getting some of the stuff he had left behind. I got surprised by something coming up which made him tell me I either had to pack up and go live with him across the country when he was leaving the next day or that we were going to break up and I’d not hear from him anymore. I couldn’t pick up and leave, didn’t think I could handle moving in across the country with him under present conditions, so he took that as defaulting to us breaking up. I was very upset that night. Within the next couple days though I started feeling relieved and found out I could handle this break up and loss much better than I expected I would. Then a little more than a week later he called me back to try again because he was worried about how I might be doing. I wasn’t doing that badly really, but I didn’t have the heart to tell him he had been worried for nothing and I agreed to go back to where we left off before pretty much, still hoping to salvage this thing. At this point he had decided that the best bet of resolving our issues was something which would require a few years to do aaaaand it still was not looking so promising that even that would succeed. A couple months later I met somebody I was attracted to and who was mutually attracted to me. I had not met anybody I was attracted to in about five years, since I met the guy I was already in a relationship with. Honestly, I thought for quite a while I was just busted and had ceased to be capable of attraction to anybody over the course of this whole ordeal, that the person I was with already was the best and maybe only possible compatibility for me still romantically even if it was still much less than ideal. So, yeah, I wasn’t broken, but it really is VERY rare evidently that I find people I’m attracted to. This was a big deal and proved a couple ideas about my situation wrong. I told this new person though that I was already involved with somebody, not on the market basically, intent on working things out with who I was with. We accepted just being friends consequently. However, I really, really, really liked this new person and things were quite crappy with my current mate with no hope of improving any time soon if ever and I had found out earlier that I was capable of handling having him leave me better than I used to think. Buuuut . . . the idea of losing who I was with was still not pleasant at all and I knew I would feel like shit if I dumped him at this point after he had committed to doing such a long term effort to try to work things out with me and had come back to try to try again out of concern for my well-being. So, about a week went by where me and this new person were being friends because I was unavailable. But then I had a thought . . . A couple years back there had been a situation reminiscent of this where somebody I was attracted to and cared about very much (I had met this person shortly before who I started dating when I was 18, but anything romantic hadn’t looked like an option for us at the time) I had just been friends with while I was hoping to resolve some of those areas of conflict which had been there from the time I had started dating my boyfriend and things with my boyfriend just went on and on, not getting any nearer to resolved and meanwhile the friend of mine took quite a hit to his mental health dealing with this waiting and uncertainty between us. The stress on my friend was just downright awful (and I was very upset he was being hurt by this too). When this occured to me I just knew I couldn’t let something like that happen again, especially given that in the last case my friend had been very mentally resilient to start with, but my current friend had much more stress on his plate already to begin with. So, because I couldn’t let myself let such a thing happen again, that gave me enough extra will power to bite the bullet and go through with breaking up with my boyfriend. So, once that was done, there was no reason left to not begin a relationship with this new person.
So, am I “toxic poison?” Should I “never be dealt with in any manner, under any circumstances?”
Just having been using somebody as a place holder is not the only reason somebody may dump one person and right away start dating another. As for trying to fix any problems with a current partner rather than leaving for somebody you like more, at what point does this effort become futile or is there a point you’d think where such efforts have a higher sort of cost to benefit ratio than just moving on to other people? As far as a situation where one wasn’t having problems in their current relationship but just met somebody else they were even more drawn to like things were with Dagny, what do you think makes it ok in fiction, but never in real life?
“Women generally hate to reject a man outright. It feels rude, plus they have this weird idea that it hurts our feelings.”
This on the other hand I’m not going to object to. If by “generally” you mean “more women than not” I think that’s a pretty correct statement. I do know for darned sure though though that there are people who will get their feelings hurt by frank rejection. I think the “not answering you back” one is more common than if you hear her tell you she can’t make it to something. Sometimes stuff really does come up even when you are VERY interested in somebody and then it is really stressful to think that the other person may leave because they took you not being able to do something as saying you wanted to get rid of them. Also, sometimes technology glitches or you forget to check phone/mail/whatever, so a second attempt via different communication means may not be a bad idea, particularly if they have spoken to you before, buuut if that fails then it’s probably best to quit trying unless they do eventually seek you out again.
Now, as for what Darrell Cody was saying, People certainly can change and if they are rational then reason definitely can help with that and that can be great and all, BUT no matter what it isn’t a guaranteed thing that they will change in any particular way (learned that one the hard way, seriously thought I had every reason to believe my first boyfriend and I would come to see eye to eye on certain things eventually), so just don’t go getting into a relationship with somebody if you can’t accept something about them as potentially there for the long haul. It’s a recipie for conflict and heart ache otherwise.
If you would need something about somebody to change, you can try to talk with them about something, maybe you’ll succeed, but don’t get into a relationship until and unless that happens first.