Dating & Love

This is a personal message I wrote to Aspiring Objectivist, in response to a situation he brought up in a thread titled “Can You Love Who You Can’t Truly Respect?” With his permission, I am posting it here, because it might be of interest and value to others.

Aspiring Objectivist: She “likes” me, too, but is not ready to date yet because of an experience in her past.

MisterSwig: I got that line, too, when I was in high school. My favorite though was: “My father won’t let me date.”

I agree with MisterSwig that her statement is a line. It always is.

One thing you need to know about women is that they do not reject you directly. There is always some “reason,” some excuse offered. She turns down the date not because she’s not attracted to you, but because she has a class that night, or she’s working late, or she’s just getting out of a relationship and she needs time to herself, etc… She says these things in part because she doesn’t want to hurt your feelings. A noble motive, perhaps, though it usually just ends up confusing us men and giving us false hope.

We are not currently in a relationship - we are very, very good friends, and I have been open with her about my thoughts, and she knows completely how I feel about her, the good and the bad.

Now, you’re 16; still young, but definitely not a kid anymore. At some point you’re going to have to make a choice: you’re either dating a woman, or she’s a friend. As a strong, confident, romantic man, you cannot allow yourself to have ambiguous relationships with women. You have to decide early on whether you’re interested in a woman; whether or not, generally speaking, she’s your “type.” If she is, you date her. You request her phone number, you ask her out, and you take her out on a date. If she’s not interested, for whatever reason, fine. Move on to the next candidate. You don’t become bosom buddies and hope that, somehow, the friendship will transform into a torrid love affair.

I know you’re confused about this girl, and you’re not sure if you want a relationship with her. But your statements indicate a certain attitude which is very mistaken, yet very common among sensitive and intelligent men – one which is terribly a-romantic, which women find enormously unattractive, and which brings men nothing but misery. Especially disturbing is your statement about how you have been so “open” with this girl about your feelings for her. A lot of guys think that a romantic relationship begins with a confession of feelings. It might for Ross on Friends, but in actual reality, it doesn’t work that way.

Nimble: If you guys arent even dating yet, and you give her lectures, that might be WHY YOU ARENT DATING YET. I hate getting lectured. You might want to try getting to know her better before discussing your most deepest convictions and beliefs.

Aspiring Objectivist: I don’t lecture her. . . . If this level of intimacy in a friendship doesn’t permit the sharing of convictions, I don’t know what does.

Be very careful with the “sharing of convictions.” It’s extremely easy, if you’re expressing views which conflict with her’s, to make a woman feel like you’re attacking her personally. It’s a terrible turn-off, yet guys do it all the time. If she expresses opinions that you disagree with, listen to her, and try to elicit her core values which underlie her position. Then, later on, decide if what you’ve observed is so out of line as to be a dealbreaker. If it is, then you don’t date her anymore. If not, then you accept it about her and you never ever argue about it.

People in relationships come “as-is.” You must never try to change the other person in any way, or even appear to be trying to change them. You must never argue or debate or try to make her “see the light” on any subject, ever, even if you know you’re right. You wouldn’t like it if a woman did something that made you feel like you’re not good enough for her – yet – and that she can’t accept and love you for who you are. And believe me, women are ten times more sensitive than men in this respect.

All right, enough abuse. You’re to be commended for your willingness to consider important personal issues in so thoughtful and intelligent a manner. Most guys your age are wrestling with questions such as why the beer isn’t coming out of the keg or whether they’ll “score” on their date tonight. Keep on using your mind, don’t beat yourself up over your feelings, and enjoy the process of dating and love. Before too long the rational women will be seeking you out.

Kevin Delaney writes:

Now, you’re 16; still young, but definitely not a kid anymore. At some point you’re going to have to make a choice: you’re either dating a woman, or she’s a friend. As a strong, confident, romantic man, you cannot allow yourself to have ambiguous relationships with women. You have to decide early on whether you’re interested in a woman; whether or not, generally speaking, she’s your “type.” If she is, you date her. You request her phone number, you ask her out, and you take her out on a date. If she’s not interested, for whatever reason, fine. Move on to the next candidate. You don’t become bosom buddies and hope that, somehow, the friendship will transform into a torrid love affair.

This is GREAT advice. Ignore it at your own peril (I certainly did!).

People in relationships come “as-is.” You must never try to change the other person in any way, or even appear to be trying to change them. You must never argue or debate or try to make her “see the light” on any subject, ever, even if you know you’re right. You wouldn’t like it if a woman did something that made you feel like you’re not good enough for her – yet – and that she can’t accept and love you for who you are. And believe me, women are ten times more sensitive than men in this respect.

This is not great advice. At all. If the object of your affection is of such low self-esteem that they cannot handle any sort of argument or debate, no rational individual would want to be with them. This has nothing to do with trying to change a person, that is, his or basic personality, character, or values. This has everything to do with treating them as a mature adult who understands that he or she is not omniscient or infallible and thus can learn from others.

In fact, one of the greatest things about a romantic relationship is learning from the other person, which you can’t do if you take the attitude, “You is how you is.”

Now, of course, this is a contextual issue, and much depends on how your approach such debates (and what you choose to debate about). I’m not denying this. But treating women as fragile creatures who can’t differentiate between “You’re wrong about X,” and “You’re not good enough for me” is condescending.

Kevin, about changing your partner, did you mean that in a strictly guy must not change girl, or did you mean that neither partner must change the other. I disagree with the girl changing guy side, if that’s what you meant, but am unsure about a guy changing a girl. But I kind of see where you’re coming from. Does it have to do with the girl being the value searched out by the man??? Anyhow, please explain this further… Thanks, Megan

I think we need to remember that we cannot change anyone but ourselves…

If you go into a relationship hoping for the other person to change you will never be truly happy. Your partner will resent your constant disapproval and ‘nagging’, and it will create disharmony between what should be a successful partnership.

Its not that you are trying to live up to your partner’s expectations, its that they instill in you a desire to be the best you can be. My mate would be considered of ‘lower intelligence’ than i; and his family is of a lower working class than my upper middle class backgrounds… his family is generally uneducated and mine is mostly university graduates… he has different beliefs re: philosophy and the state of the world, but we do agree that we want to be honest, we want to work hard and we love each other…

As a strong, confident, romantic man, you cannot allow yourself to have ambiguous relationships with women. You have to decide early on whether you’re interested in a woman; whether or not, generally speaking, she’s your “type.” If she is, you date her. You request her phone number, you ask her out, and you take her out on a date. If she’s not interested, for whatever reason, fine. Move on to the next candidate. You don’t become bosom buddies and hope that, somehow, the friendship will transform into a torrid love affair.

this is fantastic advice… please, i ask all men, do not be ambiguous with the women you date. i do think you can go on to be friends with a gal if she isn’t interested in more or if you are not interested in more, but you should make sure that it is clear up front that this is a friendship…

this is fantastic advice…

This is GREAT advice.

OK, OK, I’ll believe it is great advice, even fantastic advice–heck, I’ll even say it’s AWESOME advice … as soon as anyone explains why.

:slight_smile:

OK, OK, I’ll believe it is great advice, even fantastic advice–heck, I’ll even say it’s AWESOME advice … as soon as anyone explains why.

:wink:

Because it makes you and your beloved miserable, and will almost always destroy the relationship in the long run. I made that mistake twice, becoming “best friends” with girls I was in love with and it turned out so Totally Not Dandy that I went a wrote a book about it.

In other news, I’m about to go have lunch with the first girl, who is now married, and who I have not seen for over two years. I know it’s a long shot, but I’m thinking there’s a chance… :slight_smile:

Oh, I mean, :yarr: yarrr

I could never become friends with a girl, unless I am totally and completely uninterested in her sexually.

I can be very overbearing when I am interested. Ask my girlfriend. :slight_smile:

Don: I’m not saying that women are fragile creatures who can’t handle arguments or debates, nor am I saying that arguments and debates cannot be of great value in certain contexts. I’m saying that arguments and debates are not romantic – and that they serve no positive purpose in dating or in a relationship.

You may think that your arguing and debating is not about trying to change her; that you’re only attacking her ideas, not her as a person. But what you intend and the way your message is received are likely very, very different.

We as men tend to be highly competitive with one another. It’s one of the ways in which we bond: We jokingly insult each other, we wrestle and fight, we argue and debate – about everything – and it’s not only not a big deal to us, we respect each other more afterward. It brings us closer together.

This behavior is often mystifying to women. They don’t do it with each other, and they sure as hell don’t want us to do it with them.

Whatever it is that’s so important that you need to impress upon her, I guarantee it’s not nearly as important in her eyes as how well you listen to and respect her words and opinion.

Ladies, do you agree?

In fact, one of the greatest things about a romantic relationship is learning from the other person, which you can’t do if you take the attitude, “You is how you is.”

I don’t understand this statement at all. You can’t learn from the other person if you accept that they are as they are?

Of course there is a tremendous amount that we can learn from a romantic relationship. But there’s a difference between what can be learned and what can be taught.

Megan: I’m a little confused about what you’re asking. I think that neither men nor women should try to change each other. It’s one of the few truly “uni-sex” principles which I would say applies equally to men and women. How do you see it?

Kevin Delaney: At some point you’re going to have to make a choice: you’re either dating a woman, or she’s a friend. As a strong, confident, romantic man, you cannot allow yourself to have ambiguous relationships with women.

Capitalism Forever: OK, OK, I’ll believe it is great advice, even fantastic advice–heck, I’ll even say it’s AWESOME advice … as soon as anyone explains why.

Because friendship and romantic love are two completely different things.

The attitude I’m opposing is the notion that romantic love is a graduated form of friendship. That first we become friends, then close friends, then best friends – then lovers.

Kevin Delaney writes:

Don: I’m not saying that women are fragile creatures who can’t handle arguments or debates, nor am I saying that arguments and debates cannot be of great value in certain contexts. I’m saying that arguments and debates are not romantic – and that they serve no positive purpose in dating or in a relationship.

Why the heck not? Isn’t quite possible that both partners are interested in ideas? It seems to me that would be more common than not for an Objectivist couple.

You may think that your arguing and debating is not about trying to change her; that you’re only attacking her ideas, not her as a person. But what you intend and the way your message is received are likely very, very different.

This is more condescension on your part. Yes, women and men in general have different conversational styles, but if both partners take this into account, women are not so stupid as to be unable to grasp that a discussion of ideas is not an attack on them as people.

We as men tend to be highly competitive with one another. It’s one of the ways in which we bond: We jokingly insult each other, we wrestle and fight, we argue and debate – about everything – and it’s not only not a big deal to us, we respect each other more afterward. It brings us closer together.

This behavior is often mystifying to women. They don’t do it with each other, and they sure as hell don’t want us to do it with them.

Okay, but now you’re confusing the way one discusses ideas with discussing ideas. Sure, there are ways of discussing ideas that can sometimes lead people to feel threatened, but there are ways of discussing ideas that do not lead to that. If both partners are rational, I can’t imagine why this would be a problem. Let me ask you this question: have you dated any Objectivist women?

Whatever it is that’s so important that you need to impress upon her, I guarantee it’s not nearly as important in her eyes as how well you listen to and respect her words and opinion.

Well yeah, but they aren’t mutually exclusive, you know.

I don’t understand this statement at all. You can’t learn from the other person if you accept that they are as they are?

I don’t see how discussing ideas and values equates to not accepting the other person as he or she is. I’ve been clear on this point: it is usually pointless to try to change someone else’s basic values and fundamental ideas. But then again, you probably shouldn’t be dating someone whose basic values and ideas need to be changed. That’s not what we’re talking about. You made a blanket statement in regard to debating ideas and that simply is not defensible.

Of course there is a tremendous amount that we can learn from a romantic relationship. But there’s a difference between what can be learned and what can be taught.

Yeah, and there’s a difference between missionary position and doggy style, but just because you prefer one doesn’t mean you should discard the other. We learn in many different ways, and one of the ways we learn is from others teaching us and by teaching others.

No, I don’t believe you should look at your romantic person as your student. There should be an intellectual give and take, with mutual respect and sensitivity. But it is outrageous to put up a sign that says, “Just say No to ideas!” I, for one, couldn’t be with a woman who wasn’t.

Speaking as a woman, I didnt like the implication that you couldn’t argue with someone you were romantically involved with. I’m most attracted to someone who will stand up to me and tell me what they think. Someone I can have a lengthy intelligent discussion with, and if it so happens, an argument with. There is a difference between arguing and discussing. Yes, it’s great for the man to listen to my ideas, but hell, I want to hear his too! Isnt that something men are always complaining about? The woman asking “What are you thinking?” Yeah, we really do want to know. So tell us!

The same happens when you have those arguments with your buddies and you respect them more after they are over. Stand up to me, tell me what you think, when you think it, or else I will think you are a coward or wonder why you dont want to tell me. I have discussions with my girl friends all the time, and it’s great when we come to a mutual understanding. I can see her point and she can see mine.. we are free to move on. And using the fullest extent of your knowledge in a debate is just FUN! :smiley:

A common problem is substituting “I wish” for “it is”-- that is, taking a primacy of consciousness approach to romance.

It is very easy to meet someone, find a good trait or two, and develop an infatuation. The thinking may be along the lines of: “Gosh, she’s beautiful, and wouldn’t it be great if we were dating? If only she weren’t religious. And if she were a little smarter. And if she respected me more. And if she’d realize what a jerk her current boyfriend is…”

Notice how the positive traits are taken out of context, and the negative ones are evaded. If you want a relationship with someone, remember who it is you are having the relationship with – all their traits, good and bad. If you can’t live with the bad, then don’t pursue a relationship. It is this particular person, in the flesh, not some abstraction or fantasy that you are considering.

The kernel of truth in the advice against trying to change someone is a call to focus on the facts – i.e., who she is – rather than the fantasy – i.e., who you want her to be.

Yes, people can change, but there are degrees of appropriateness. The object of affection may be willing to change a minor trait, but asking the Pope not to be Catholic is out of the question.

And this is not the first time in the history of the universe that a guy has been attracted to some, but not all, of the qualities of a particular gal. It happens every day.

Another bit of advice: it is easy to overlook criticism coming from the gal you are interested in. She may be critical of your ideas, even sneer at them, and you galze over her response with the thought that she’s naive or you can change her.

Well, what for? Self-esteem means treating yourself with respect, and not accepting unwarranted insults. If the gal doesn’t have respect for you, there is ABSOLUTELY NOT EVEN A SNOWBALL’S CHANCE IN HELL that a healthy romantic relationship can develop. Some women like to use men; it’s a power trip for them, a secondhander’s attempt at self-esteem. They may flirt a little with you, just enough to get your attention, then get you to do something for them. They may declare to your face that they respect you or that you are “such a good friend.” But they use you just the same. It sucks, but it does happen, and it pays to watch out for it.

Remember, there really are plenty of fish in the sea, and if this one gives you such trouble, move on. Why waste your time on someone who is marginally acceptable? Keep looking for the brass ring, the one about whom you don’t have to fight with yourself, that you can love, lust for, trust and respect.

Because it makes you and your beloved miserable, and will almost always destroy the relationship in the long run.  I made that mistake twice, becoming “best friends” with girls I was in love with and it turned out so Totally Not Dandy that I went a wrote a book about it.

In what way was it Totally Not Dandy? Did the relationship break apart? Or did she never love you back? Or was it just boring? Or something else?

(Sorry for being so inquisitive…if my questions get too personal, just tell me it’s none of my business.)

I couldn’t imagine loving a woman without being friends with her. Romantic love means that I admire a woman so much that I want to spend my life with her. Friendship means that I value a person’s company. The latter is a subset of the former.

FaSheezy: I’m most attracted to someone who will stand up to me and tell me what they think.

I don’t mean to imply that a man should ever hide his true self or yield his convictions to hers. I think a man must “stand up” to a woman when necessary – and lord knows she’s gonna test him on this. She has good reason to: after all, the fundamental thing she is attracted to in him is his masculine strength. But I maintain that the best way a man can be firm and unyielding by refusing to engage in arguments and debates in the first place.

She tries to start an argument. He looks her straight in the eye and calmly says: “Look, I’m not getting into this with you.” Silence.

Argument avoided, masculine strength intact.

Discussing ideas, as you point out, is different from debating. Discussing ideas and sharing convictions can be fine, especially those held in common, but as I said in my initial post: Be careful. You shouldn’t be discussing heavy issues on dates anyway.

This all goes back to why we want to find and date people who share our basic values. Less conflict. More love.

FaSheezy: The woman asking “What are you thinking?” Yeah, we really do want to know. So tell us!

I think you enjoy wondering much more than knowing. :smiley:

But I maintain that the best way a man can be firm and unyielding by refusing to engage in arguments and debates in the first place.

She tries to start an argument. He looks her straight in the eye and calmly says: “Look, I’m not getting into this with you.” Silence.

Argument avoided, masculine strength intact.

Oh my God, Kevin - I hope you are kidding! :smiley:

  1. What kind of woman will have this kind of treatment? No woman I would want.

  2. What are you gaining by avoiding an argument? You are keeping the tension active and destructive instead of defusing it by reaching a resolution.

  3. Your words carry a hidden threat of physical force. That’s why you feel your “masculine strength” is so vindicated. In fact, you’re a coward that can’t deal with abstract subjects with the power of the mind.

  4. You make sure you will never learn anything from your partner, because arbitrary force/behaviour and not reason, are your means to resolve conflicts.

  5. It sets a precedent that it’s ok to disagree, but it’s not ok to argue. Meaning that eventually you and your partner will grow further and further apart - but will never be able to bridge the differences.

  6. Your concept of masculinity offends me. This is the masculinity of a gorilla at best, and a mobster at worst. Your masculine strength should not be used to shut your wife up whenever you feel like it. It should be used for achievements or, at worse, protection from physical threat.

And just so that I’m not misunderstood - I support masculine behaviour in a relationship. What I disapprove of is abusing your so-called masculinity to run from every intellectual conflict.

Eran –

Your post is so outrageously off-base that I’m not going to respond to it – EXCEPT to make very clear that what I indicated about a man refusing to argue does not in ANY way carry “a hidden threat of physical force.” Any such implication exists solely in the mind of Eran Dror.

Your post is so outrageously off-base that I’m not going to respond to it – EXCEPT to make very clear that what I indicated about a man refusing to argue does not in ANY way carry “a hidden threat of physical force.”

Then please explain what your masculinity has to do with refusing to argue.

Kevin,

Ignore my last question. But I must say, that from personal experience, I do believe that you can change your partner, if you are both rational individuals. I greatly influenced my boyfriend, and we have a great relationship. Do you have any concrete facts that prove otherwise, or is this only a theory. Because I hate to say it, but I think you are wrong.

p.s. and no he’s not whipped. lol

megan

I couldn’t imagine loving a woman without being friends with her. Romantic love means that I admire a woman so much that I want to spend my life with her. Friendship means that I value a person’s company. The latter is a subset of the former.

Oh no no no. You mis-understand me completely. What I meant was that one should not take up a friendship with someone one has a romantic interest in if that person doesn’t share those romantic feelings. That is a recipe for disaster, to use a cliche.

As for the specifics of my past, they really aren’t that interesting, except that the latter relationship ended on really bad terms (mostly because it turned out she was evil). The first one…well, we are now great friends, but that’s only because I’m not longer interested in her romantically. Oh, plus she’s an angel and forgave all the crap I put her through when we were in high school.