Need lots of major contradictions in the Bible. I know they’re there. ![]()
What are the best ones? Best meaning “useful for arguing against the validity of the Bible with”.
Need lots of major contradictions in the Bible. I know they’re there. ![]()
What are the best ones? Best meaning “useful for arguing against the validity of the Bible with”.
The Old Testament or the New?
The Old Testament or the New?
Both.
EDIT: Although preferably, the new. This Jesus guy needs to go DOWN. ![]()
Huemer’s webpage has a bunch of juicies like these:
John 5:31 If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid.
John 8:14 Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid.
Genesis 32:30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and my life was preserved.”
Exodus 33:11 The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend.
John 1:18 No one has ever seen God.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
Matthew 10:34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
2 Kings 2:11 As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.
John 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.
There is a book by Isaac Asimov titled “In The Beginning”. It’s been a long time since I’ve read it, but what he does is put The Book of Genesis up against the light of science. You might want to look into it.
The central character in the book, Yahwe, is a metaphysical impossibility. You can reject the whole book from that one simple fact.
The central character in the book, Yahwe, is a metaphysical impossibility. You can reject the whole book from that one simple fact.
I know that, but I also have a hard time explaining exactly HOW it is such an impossibility.
Anyone care to help me there? ![]()
Perhaps this will help? No one lives by these laws (and let’s hope they don’t start.) If this doesn’t illustrate their hypocrisy, I don’t know what does…
One of the most glaring contradictions in the Bible is the idea that an all-knowing God somehow didnt notice that serpent slinking around The Garden.
I tried making a list several years ago but gave up after 15 or so pages, there were too many to count. Attached is that list.
[contradictions.htm](< base_url >/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=737)
Some examples:
Obvious contradictions:
How many drew swords?
2 Samuel says: 800,000 in Israel; 500,000 in Judah
24:9Joab gave up the sum of the numbering of the people to the king: and there were in Israel eight hundred thousand valiant men who drew the sword; and the men of Judah were five hundred thousand men.
1 Chronicles says: 1,100,000 in Israel; 470,000 in Judah
21:5Joab gave up the sum of the numbering of the people to David. All those of Israel were one million one hundred thousand men who drew sword: and in Judah were four hundred seventy thousand men who drew sword.
2 Chronicles 9:25 Solomon had 4,000 stalls for horses.
Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horses, which he kept in the chariot cities and also with him in Jerusalem.
1 Kings 4:26 Solomon had 40,000 stalls for horses.
Solomon had forty thousand stalls for chariot horses, and twelve thousand horses.
1 Samuel 21:1-6 Ahimalech was high priest when David ate the bread.
Mark 2:26 Abiathar was high priest when David ate the bread.
(bible.org acknowledges this contradiction)
Contradictory orders:
Exodus 20:14 God prohibits adultery
"You shall not commit adultery.
Hosea 1:2 God instructs Hosea to take a wife of harlotry
When the LORD began to speak through Hosea, the LORD said to him, “Go, take to yourself an adulterous wife and children of unfaithfulness, because the land is guilty of the vilest adultery in departing from the LORD.”
One of the most glaring contradictions in the Bible is the idea that an all-knowing God somehow didnt notice that serpent slinking around The Garden.
Wouldn’t it be easier to find the five or six statements that don’t contradict any of the rest?
Only if there are that many.
In all seriousness, I don’t think you can count God commanding someone to violate a commandment as a contradiction. Or God himself not living up to his own commandments. (See Brian0918’s last example.) Because the commandments aren’t primary, God’s will is primary, in their view. If God wants you to break something other people have been commanded to do, well, God made the rules, he can break them or make exceptions.
Only if there are that many.
Sorry, I meant to say one or two.
If God wants you to break something other people have been commanded to do, well, God made the rules, he can break them or make exceptions.
And if God is truly omnipotent, then he can be A and non-A. Otherwise why even bother being God?
Okay, here’s one to think about:
Jahweh, the Hebrew word for God, translates “I am what I am.”
Implicit in that simple statement are the three axioms of Objectivism.
(edit typo)
Oh, yeah, that would have been from the part of Exodus where Moses sees “the Glory of God” after being told he never would be allowed to.
God made the rules, he can break them, but it sure seems like he’s a bit of a flake, eh?
Okay, here’s one to think about:
Jahweh, the Hebrew word for God, translates “I am what I am.”
Or, “I yam what I yam”. Popeye is God.
Popeye is God
And Robin Williams did a fine job portraying God, he did.
Or, “I yam what I yam”. Popeye is God.
Makes sense. Furhter Olive Oil has got to be a virgin. I mean, she couldn’t possibly survive an intimate encoutner with any man.
Maybe there’s something to this Christianity business after all ![]()
If god is all powerful, he can make an immovable object. If god is all powerful, he can move any object. ![]()