This thread is for the discussion of Bible verses. I don’t only mean ones that espouse altruism and mysticism, but verses that are so creepy that they should even give pause to the Religious Right.
I started this thread because I came across this website quoting certain Bible verses and charging that they “advocat[e] killing and rape.”
I thought, No way! He must be taking these passages out of context.
Well, I checked out Numbers 31.15-18. It looks to me like that website evaluated those passages pretty accurately. Moses tells the Hebrews to kill the Midianites and to take their virgin women as love slaves.
And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD. Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves (emphasis added).
My favorite resource on this subject is the online Skeptic’s Annotated Bible, though its comments are marred by the site’s “secular humanist” (i.e., secular altruist) bias.
You can also see the Numbers verses I quoted in more pro-religious online Bibles here, here, here, and here.
In Isaiah 13. 13-19, it sounds like God is saying that Babylonian women should be raped (He says “ravished”) and their children should be killed.
Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the LORD of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger. And it shall be as the chased roe, and as a sheep that no man taketh up: they shall every man turn to his own people, and flee every one into his own land. Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished. Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it. Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eyes shall not spare children. And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees’ excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah (emphasis added).
Ummmm . . . if I were a character in a Japanese cartoon, this would be the moment where a huge ball of sweat drops out the back of my head. ![]()
And I find it strange that the Religious Right purports to champion “family values” when Jesus said that you should prioritize Him above any and every member of your family. In Matthew 10. 34-37, Jesus says,
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
And I don’t understand why the Religious Right keeps saying that capitalism is compatible with Christianity, when, in Revelation 18. 3-20, God makes it a point to smite all the merchants of Babylon and send them to hell. See here.
Note that, since the makers of the online Skeptic’s Annotated Bible aren’t pro-free-market, they don’t have any comments about the anti-business message in Revelation.
Of course, I am sure that, for centuries already, many theologians must have found ways to rationalize and “spin-doctor” these passages.
What do you think?
Other questionable Bible verses and/or comments in this thread would be appreciated.
