I’ll just say that I found some of the questions ambiguous at best
Here’s 2 examples:
VIRTUOUS LIFE To be virtuous/live morally, we should primarily make moral distinctions according to:
b - our reasoning that is used to achieve our will.
d - our empirical knowledge (what we know with experimentation).
Isn’t it reasoning from emperical evidence where Objectivism comes from?
LIBERTY Would it be ideal to maximize pleasure for all people even at the cost of liberty for some?
b - No, we need liberty
c - No, maximization of pleasure for all people has nothing to do with morality.
Uh…I vote for both
Perhaps I’m just not as well versed in Objectivism, but I found myself wondering, while taking it, how I could choose between a couple of conflicting answers.
nimble:
You’re closer to Rand than me, but I’m farther from Kant
Kant (52%)
Edit–
smilie problem from “b” followed by “)” (I think). Hope this fixes it.
You’re closer to Rand than me, but I’m farther from Kant
16. Kant (52%)
haha. Yea I guess thats true. It isnt a definitive thing. Its an internet survey that i found interesting. Some questions are ambiguous. But why would liberty be simply there by itself. Thats why i asked that collective happiness has nothing to do with YOUR morality.
as for question 5. Yes objectivism acknowledges empirical evidence, but morality isnt strictly from that. One could claim that since one sees suffering, that is evidence that morality should eliminate suffering.
haha. Yea I guess thats true. It isnt a definitive thing. Its an internet survey that i found interesting. Some questions are ambiguous. But why would liberty be simply there by itself. Thats why i asked that collective happiness has nothing to do with YOUR morality.
Yes, I agree about the definitive thing, and please take my comment as a joke
if you would like to post your answers, too, anyone, it might be helpful for those of us (or just me) that didn’t get 100% Rand.
Edit: I don’t mean to imply that there is one set of undebatable, exactly correct Objectivist answers–I just think it would be helpful to discuss the questions and why you picked the ones you picked.
I didn’t like the choices of answers. I would have liked them to be less specific and more in terms of principals…
Spinoza (100%)
Ayn Rand (75%)
Nietzsche (66%)
Aristotle (64%)
David Hume (62%)
Kant (62%)
Jean-Paul Sartre (60%)
St. Augustine (55%)
Stoics (55%)
Aquinas (51%)
Prescriptivism (44%)
Epicureans (41%)
Jeremy Bentham (41%)
John Stuart Mill (41%)
Nel Noddings (38%)
Cynics (37%)
Thomas Hobbes (36%)
Plato (30%)
Ockham (16%)
Who’s Spinoza??? I ended up having to chose none of the above on several occasions, because I didn’t fully agree with many of my choices. Does that make me a Spinoza???
In briefly examing where my answers differed from those who posted their answers, it was mostly on questions I felt were poorly phrased or where I didn’t like any the options provided.
I just noticed that when you “click here for info” the bottom link for information on Objectivism is to Nathaniel Branden’s essay, “The Benefits and Hazards of the Philosophy of Ayn Rand: A Personal Statement”… hmm…interesting