The following is me trying to figure out where the fault in my inner-logic is. I’m sure that there’s something inherently wrong, something I’ve programmed myself into that it causing me to stumble and fall at every step, but I can’t figure out what it is. It’s a kind of mixture between paranoia and neurosis, stopping me from applying what I know is the correct way of living with my actual life. I think it’s my sense of life, but I’m confused as to how that actually grows, develops and all that.
I keep wondering why it is that I have such trouble correlating my principles with reality. I find it very difficult to actually say ‘I love freedom’ or ‘I love those things which I value’ for example. As much as I understand freedom, say, is such a vital aspect of human nature, I can only revel in it when it is challenged. I think the problem is that I have a severely underdeveloped sense of life. Part of that has been timidity, another part a wilful evasion of reality and another part laziness caused by depression (and further depression caused by laziness – a vicious circle).
I keep asking myself, “Why do I find it so hard to hold an objective value?” in other words, why do I find it so hard to concretely say what I think and feel, what I value and cherish? Everything often feels very ephemeral for me, like, A could be not-A tomorrow, or that what I think is A isn’t really A, it’s just me deluding myself. I think worse than evading reality, is the constant paranoia about evading reality. At least with the first I can dig myself out of the evasion and I have friends to tell me when I’m shutting out all reason. But when I get into that paranoid state, all reason goes out the window.
Like I said, the problem comes from my sense of life. I simply haven’t really lived. I understand I’m only 17, and I can’t blame myself too much for only just realising my errors. But still, even back in the last few years, I’ve muddled up my life too much, eroding away the pillars of my spirit, setting myself up for neurosis, depression and ultimately – apathy.
I’ve had times in the last few months, times lasting for maybe a week or two, where I’ve felt like I was really accomplishing something, like I was really doing good work and the future held a ton of hope, and that I could achieve anything. But I’m still stuck in a morass of confusion. I still illegally download music; I still cannot figure out what I really value; Sex is something I try to approach properly – judging by metaphysical facts – and yet I fail at every stand to do anything (morally) right.
Is it just me or does life sometimes just feel just a bit helpless? I’m not being emo-ish and depressive here. Far from it. I’m still in control of my senses and willing to think. I just find it very, very difficult – not as a matter of challenge, with obstacles I could beat, but as a lack of motivation (no real sense of life).
Maybe I’m confused about the Objective process of gaining a sense of life? One is meant to introspect upon ones values, but what if those values just… don’t really seem valuable? It’s as if, like I said, everything’s just a bit ephemeral and not really real a lot of the time. Maybe I just live inside my own head too much and don’t try to live.