If someone laughs at Ayn Rand and ridicules people who think her philosophy is worth studying I start to feel fear/anxiety and lose some of my composure. I’m trying to understand whether this feeling is serving me in an beneficial way or not, and whether it’s root is valid. Note that I usually haven’t seen philosophical arguments made I’ve just received overwhelmingly negative responses when trying to find people interested in studying on campus.
I feel powerless in response since I have not yet fully understand and worked through the whole philosophy. I’m just very confused by how what seems like a very positive system of ideas can be met with such strong resistance by so many people.
I’d like to get some feedback on the above and also my emotional response.
I think there’s a few things that cause this:
- If people think her philosophy is so bad as to be something to laugh at then the world is evil. These people outnumber me and therefore I’m powerless even if I consciously prove it to myself.
Response: I felt this way when I held invalid beliefs that were challenged too. I “felt” I was right and anyone who challenged my view was evil - I saw their ideas as causing pain, suffering etc.
Is the world really evil because some people laugh at her philosophy? Are these people who laugh at the philosophy convincing everyone else? What power do they have? Should I concern myself with them? What purpose to my feelings serve here - they don’t help me at all. I’m not in this to help people but to make my life better and dedicating a portion of my time concerning myself with others ideas will not make my life better.
- I’m still studying and trying to consciously work through everything right from the base, so right now all I have is ‘feeling’ for some of her ideas. I don’t feel like I’m able to defend my beliefs against many arguments and every additional argument mean something else I’ll have to study - which overwhelms me as trying to work through epistemology is frustrating enough.
Response: this is a valid concern - how can I study philosophy properly when I keep getting thrown astray by all kinds of concepts I don’t understand. I’ve spent long enough as it is slowly working my way through OPAR.