Response to various from Steven,
I’ll try to keep this brief. Thanks for the interest from the forum. I’ll answer with all seriousness.
Troll: First to the post concerned about my being a troll, from Inspector. I want to avoid that, being perceived as a troll. I’m a serious thinker. Truthfully, I’ve read Atlas Shrugged 6 times, including about a year ago, to study her style again while writing my own novel, which is 400 pages currently, and I respect her mind as the most intelligent and passionate of the 20th century. I read Fountainhead, Night of J16, Anthem, Capitalism…, Romantic Manifesto, Lexicon, We the Living, and almost all her published works, various biographies and scholarly studies (most of which I believe are shallow or foolish). I have genuine respect for the brilliance of what she did. Atlas was always the summative work however, what I was most interested in. I’m the real deal. I was the most passionate convicted objectivist among my generation, one of you. I worked to spread it…I believed her whole philosophy, and even added to it consistent applications to new cultural phenomenon from my time period, essays, etc. I scoffed at the same loose thinkers you all have. So, I don’t want to be a troll or start an angry or meaningless forum, but I thank you for allowing these posts. I wouldn’t post here if I weren’t interested in talking to objectivists specifically. It is an interesting forum to me personally. My name, Steven Burky, was synonymous, even notorious, to my whole college campus of 5,000, with capitalism, because I wrote a much-read column in the newspaper every week–and to many other friends of mine, all who knew me, also to my community, who all thought I would change the world, in their words, not mine, because of my passion. All of this because I believed in Ayn Rand.
Argument from authority: But I concede to SWN, I can’t argue from authority, and expect my brain, gifts or talents, or say-so to substitute for your personal judgment. I would love to convict you, but I can’t Make you believe, and I wouldn’t try.
To aequalsa: I did not mean that my knowledge is special or unknowable. Rather, it is my level of integrity and conviction that sets me apart from most, and this is just obvious to me from interacting with 1000s of people in my life. This would become more clear in a verbal discussion, from my tone of voice, eye contact, etc. Most people in this world right now don’t know what it is to believe passionately in something, 100%, though I would probably exclude all of you from that comment, which is why this forum interests me. I feel commonality with you all yet. My mind has always challenged those around me to think more clearly, to be better. I believe I am one of the best among this generation at challenging people, just as Rand was. I hope to engage this whole nation, if I fulfill the promise of the intelligence I was given.
To Bold Standard: I have indeed seen a psychologist, so I have sought to find wisdom and guidance from counselors in this time. I’m not naive to the reality of mental illness, though I thank you for your concern, which I could really sense.
They could not really help me understand better what has happened in my life however. The upheaval, despair, and doubt in my life, I brought on myself by change. I don’t think it was mental illness. Yes, it is sad to give up that which was once valuable to oneself, and it has been difficult. However, I have found something beneath the abstract things I used to be, perhaps something more true to me at the core. Chasing possessions compulsively is not a healthy frame of mind, I see now. When I uncovered this trend in my habits, I realized I really did not love anyone very deeply, or caringly, when I was younger. I just insulated myself from all of them by surrounding myself with things that pleased me on an infantile level. I used other people to inflate my sense of self by disparaging them. Though I was more intelligent than them, this was immature, and not helpful to them. I found this shallow. I was not much more than a spoiled infant in my desires even by the time I was 22. I was not even a grown man. This is what caused me to take a look at more mature things, and to use objectivism to seek maturity. I didn’t like who I was, and I wanted to be grown.
Some of you are willing to believe I may have experienced something unusual, so thanks. I only have about one or two more thoughts for you then.
To answer SWN and others: how do I know it wasn’t the devil, and why should I expect you to believe this was the Holy Spirit specifically? A good question.
The truth is, the second before the Spirit entered me, I was feeling totally jaded and weary. However, I felt him descend into me, and in that very second, I felt more love within me, and life. Way more. This is subjective in my wording, I am sure it will sound so to you. But it was a striking encounter, a complete change in mind, and I could feel his Spirit in my body and mind. This lasted for about 2 minutes. He helped me to feel love toward myself that I had not felt a moment before, and to see my life in perspective. And then, I felt him lift away and be gone, after about two minutes. I was only alone and weary again then. This fits the description of Paul and Luke’s writings in the New Testament precisely. I hope I have not jumped to a conclusion, but it is clear to me I experienced the real thing.
This is very important: This experience also leads me to believe almost no Christians in this time actually have the Holy Spirit, (though they could if they asked) which is crucial for you to understand. That is why they are so easy to scoff at. You observe there isn’t anything going on in them worth your time, and so you easily discern how foolish or watered down they seem in belief.
I am hoping something about my manner and writing will lead you to draw an opposite conclusion about me, gentlemen, (and lady?)
This one last thing I will say:
Some of you, a few, have really very instantly called me a liar, (though some of you have not drawn that conclusion.)
If I have told you the truth to the best of my ability, as I have, then you have wronged me deeply and testify falsely against me, without even knowing me. This is a matter of personal grievance I have with many people right now. And let Spirit will testify for me, if you continue to say I lie. I believe he will convict you if you say I lied. I have not lied.
You wrong me. Doesn’t this mean something to you?
That is what I leave you with.
As Aequalsa hinted to, I don’t know how much more productive this conversation can be, so perhaps I should withdraw soon, for I suppose my post and idea was somewhat simple:
I, someone with conviction, and who once believed like all of you, everything you believe, seeking the best, have felt the evidence we all scoffed didn’t exist. I tend to sympathize with you more than some others in the world, or I am still drawn to you, so I am not here to batter you with demeaning arguments or try to Make you believe me, which I can’t do.
You can all file this away in your minds, that you met me, and maybe it will resonate with something else you one day experience.
So, I don’t know what else to say to you. I could explain this experience of the miraculous in more detail, if anyone wants more detail or is actually skeptically interested. I could tell you more about my life, so you can make a more informed decision about my character. Or, if anyone wants to, there could be serious discussion or debate about why I believe the moral things I currently have gravitated to.
In deference to the purpose of this site, however, perhaps this could be done off-site, through e-mail to me, unless the moderator allows.
I am building a website, currently, to explain some of my beliefs, though it is still under construction. If allowed by moderator, I will post my e-mail or website in another post.
thanks for the forum, once again. Thanks SWN. Best wishes to you all, from a serious thinker, one of you in that way.