If you’re basing these two things on a reading of the constitution as opposed to other documents from the 1770’s, we can agree to disagree.
Oh, I completely missed your post here. Sorry about that!
I’m not sure what you disagree on. Rather than agreeing to disagree, I’d rather you enlighten me as to your position.
As to mine, I shall elucidate as follows:
The first is clear in and of itself, within the constitution. As I said before,
It doesn’t say the right of the militia to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. Is says the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
It’s unfortunate that they chose to word it such that it vaguely could be interpreted to imply that the right of the people to keep and bear arms was somehow dependent on militias. Because not only did they not believe that, but the sensible interpretation is that “The right of the people to keep and bear arms” is a pre-existing right, assumed by the writers of the document, and they are just putting double emphasis on the fact that it shall not be infringed. Ah, but that would imply all sorts of things about the constitution not being an exhaustive list of rights and that the state can’t simply feel free to infringe anything not specifically listed and that our government was by its very establishment supposed to be limited to the protection of individual rights and so on and so forth. There may even be an inconvenient amendment to this effect. Ah, but I prattle on…
The important part is that, whatever the implication, the literal writing says quite clearly that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - militia or no militia. And barring amendment, so it will remain.
The second “well regulated” referred to, in the language of the Militia Act of 1792, “arms, ammunition and accoutrements.” “Well,” meaning good quality or at least completeness. Militias were indeed state entities, and may well have been strictly controlled by the state, but “well regulated” doesn’t refer to this fact.
That’s to say, the right to bear arms as we understand it today was intended to be covered by the 10th amendment, not the second.
I agree completely here. They didn’t even see the necessity of enumerating it; they took the right of the people to keep and bear arms at a total given, being sane people living in a saner climate. I just mean that if we are to take the unfortunate wording for what it is worth, that it at least balances out.