In light of the Virginia Tech Massacre, I’ve been thinking a lot about Gun Control laws, their usefulness, etcetera.
I don’t find myself completely opposed to the idea of gun licenses, but I do find it frightening that there are a substantial amount of people who are 1) willing to blame guns for peoples’ crimes and 2) willing to sacrifice their (and others’) right to self-protection.
I recently got in an argument with my friend over the issue. When I said that such laws were unconsitutional, my friend replied, “i dont care whats constitutional…that was a different time…things change,” I began to wonder, “Do people really think the Constitution such a shallow document,” and “What, really, has changed?”
Anyway, here’s the gist of the argument.
In defense of our right to own firearms:
[*] Where there is crime (i.e… everywhere, and always, with or without guns), people should have the right to defend themselves.
[*] A government/police force, even an uncorrupt, functioning, and efficient one, is NOT omniscient and omnipresent.
[*] Why, anyway, would we want to give a government or police force unchecked power against us? (Going back to why the founding Fathers wrote this right into the Constitution).
[*] No one is more responsible for your own safety/well-being than you are. No one CAN be more responsible.
[*] There is nothing immoral about a person protecting himself or herself. There is something immoral about preventing a person to do so.
My friend’s/her roommates (when my friend could no longer argue) responses:
[*] Statistics in Europe show lower crime rates; Europe has strict gun control laws.
(My response: Correlation is not causality, therefore fallacious in ANY argument. That is not to mention that for every statistic, there is an opposite and equal statistic to refute it.)
[*] The U.S. was founded on the principle that the “militia” could be armed, not “random people.”
(My response: This is actually untrue; the principle that a “militia”, as opposed to citizens, could be armed was added in after 1900; furthermore, the idea of a militia is that it is made up of “random people.”)
[*] Everyone else is incompetent. (My response: Prove it!)
What are everyone else’s thoughts on gun control?