More and more I am realizing the implications of Rand’s ideas on the psycho-epistemology of music.
Not only does a song either integrate or disintegrate your mind, so long as you are in the same room while it’s playing, but I think it continues to do so for a period of time afterwards. I don’t have a great understanding of how memory functions, but what I’ve noticed is that, after I listen to a song, it stays in my head for a period of time, occasionally recurring in my conscious -and most like subconscious - thought. I notice it when I tap my foot, or fingers, to the rhythm of the song. The song appears to stay in my memory, until I hear a new song, or until such a period of time has passed that I’ve simply forgotten. I find similarities between this and drinking. It will depress your consciousness for a period of time, until you replace the intrusion on your body.
The implications of this are enormous, as I’m sure many of you already know. Your thought pattern conforms to the math of the music. If the math behind the pitch and rhythm of the song of the music is 2+2=4, your thoughts will run in that pattern. It literally makes you dumber or smarter, to the extent to which you focus on it. If you focus more intensely on it, the affects will be even greater. In the same way that everyone has no choice but to solve the problems of their visual surroundings, to at least a minimal degree, audio perception must affect us in a similar way, probably more-so than any of us realize. I think you can literally gain a sense of life by being exposed to music, like any form of art. Out of every form of art, music is more easily inflicted upon others. Visual art can affect up by means of billboards and such, but you won’t see a man running down the street flashing a giant poster depicting death. Music can be more vulgar, or perhaps I’m overlooking the affects of visual art. That is another discussion.
For these reasons,and in all seriousness, I’ve come to resent public music as a form of assault, not just a nuisance. If someone neglects to put salt on an ice patch outside a store, I may or may not slip on it. But I will not slip on it repeatedly all day! I can see this being an issue in an Objectivist society. This must be one of the most overlooked attacks on the mind. Car alarms are just the instances you notice most. Think of all the hidden attacks you’re not aware of.
Consider those drivers who blast their tunes, almost in some desperate plea for self-validation. It is no less than fear mongering. Subconsciously, they know they are attacking you, and they want to inflict pain upon you. They are saying, “This is the tune of my tribe”. It is meant to be a call to arms, simultaneously seeking comraderie and inciting fear in the enemy. Note that I’ve never pulled up to a red light and had J.S. Bach blasted in my ear.