New Google Ads / Advertising on ObjectivismOnline

I’ve added some Google Ads to the site to help pay the bills. Let me know your thoughts or concerns about them here.

If you’re interested in advertising on this website, please contact me.

They cover up some top-row buttons, under some magnifications on Foxfire that I use to be able to see stuff); then the Fountainhead link disappears with one degree of magnification. Just a spacing thing. The bottom links are more effective, I think.

OMG, taking ads from the fundies. My head is spinning.

I don’t know if I’m the only one experiencing this, but my ads are showing all wierd (as if it were using foreign characters) in Firefox 2.0.0.1

Edit: Apparently, all the ads I’m seeing are for Asian companies/organizations. Interesting that those ads would appear on site dedicated to Objectivism.

Edit: Apparently, all the ads I’m seeing are for Asian companies/organizations. Interesting that those ads would appear on site dedicated to Objectivism.

Me too. Very strange.

They cover up some top-row buttons, under some magnifications on Foxfire that I use to be able to see stuff); then the Fountainhead link disappears with one degree of magnification. Just a spacing thing. The bottom links are more effective, I think.

Are you saying the ad links are covered up or the forum links? I’m only having issues with ad links being covered up (which is fine) when I magnify in FX.

I’ll take a stab. Did you use “???” as a keyword because you didn’t know what to put?

Edit: If you click the bar on the very bottom of the ad window it takes you to a google landing page where there is a whole list of languages to choose from. English is not the default. Maybe there is some google adsense setting for language that is improperly set.

Edit 2: “You can select your site’s primary language during the application process. If you’re approved, AdSense will serve relevant ads to your pages in the appropriate language, even if your site contains multiple supported languages.”

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/…amp;ctx=sibling

The ads on the forum are in English, so it’s something about the homepage.

Today I saw the ads below.

Blech. Google’s ad targeting must be wonky.

David: Would a donation help?

-Q

Yes the ad targeting IS a little “wonky” from experience, even if you are careful with keywords you can still get pretty unpredictable results at times.

Blech. Google’s ad targeting must be wonky.

If Satanists, True Churches and Goth dating sites want to waste their money, paying OO.net … well, it’s just too bad for them, I say.

This really is the irony of internet keyword based advertising: one’s ads are displayed prominently in pages where one’s viewpoint is being thoroughly criticized.

One downside to ads from our opposition is that Google only charges for clicks, not views. So ads that are interesting to our members go away faster than those which are not as they reach their maximum number of clicks sooner.

One downside to ads from our opposition is that Google only charges for clicks, not views. So ads that are interesting to our members go away faster than those which are not as they reach their maximum number of clicks sooner.

If we click a lot, do they go away quickly?

Perhaps, but clicking on ads solely to harm the advertiser might be construed as ad fraud, which I can’t advocate.

Why can’t you put these adds at the bottom of the page? Why must they appear high up there and be the first thing a person has to see as they enter the site?

They seem stuck at that location, and quite ugly.

As an aesthetic modification, it might be more attractive to reduce the height of the box and increase the width, and put two ads on a line. For example, a box that’s the same size as the chat room box, which fits within the top blue bar.

David: Would a donation help?

-Q

If you would like to support the site, please check out the Premium Membership Patron program.