I don’t understand
why a OO.net still only comes up about 6th in a Google search for “Objectivism”. Not enough links from elsewhere to this site? Anyhow, I’m posting about something else…
With all the news about eminent domain, I guess that quite a few people are searching Google for more information. Also, the discussion about the “Souter Hotel” got me thinking: how to expose such people to a truly Objectivist position.
As a test, I created 3 Google ads.
-
The first promised an Objectivist viewpoint of Eminent Domain
-
The second was worded very neutrally, with no emotion. Other than the URL, the text did not mention Objectivism
-
The third was a little more emotional: the title was “Your home next?” Other than the URL, it had no mention of Objectivism
After a day, I found that the first did not get any click-throughs. The second got a 2 click throughs. The third got 9 click-throughs. [At 10 cents per click-through]
If anyone searches Google during the next few days and sees it, look but don’t touch :lol: (don’t click ) – not only will it cost me a few cents for you to “find” a site you already know about, but it will also hit the extremely low daily-limit that I set – after which it will no longer display that day.
The opportunity: The lesson from this is: every now and then, when there is a “hot” issue in the news, on which Objectivism has a fresh perspective, it might be an opportunity for “targeted ads”.
The problem is the URL. Originally, I set the ad up so that clicking takes the person to a thread in this forum where the topic was being discussed. However, I plan to change that today, because I figure that the person who arrives there will see a “hodge podge” of all sorts of views. Instead, I plan to link to the ARI’s media-release on the issue.
Could there be a potential opportunity where a person following such a link could see a clear and concise Objectivist argument and OO.net gets some publicity in the bargain? I am not sure and I’m guessing that there may not be a good way to achieve (because the average person clicking through is not an Objectivist); still, I thought I’d put this out, in case anyone else had ideas on how to capitalize on a hot news topic.
One possibility that I considered was an EgoSphere blogger who has addressed the issue. Any thoughts?