I also mentioned that it’s clear that you (as a group) resent anyone even holding out the possibility that Objectivism is wrong on any point. Nothing wrong with this, it’s just a fact. Only the denial of it would be wrong.
I, for one, do NOT resent anyone for holding that Objectivism is wrong on any point - that is, so long as the person attempts to back up such a position using facts and logic. And if someone actually can demonstrate that Objectivism is wrong on a given point, such a person will have my profound gratitude as I will have learned something and had an opportunity to correct an error.
What I…well, I won’t say “resent,” but rather “refuse to take seriously”…are those who go around asserting that it is possible that Objectivism is wrong but refuse to back up any specific claim that it actually is wrong. My attitude towards such things is: put up or shut up. If one is to make such a claim, then defend it (in the appropriate venue, of course).
This reminds me of a comment someone made to me in a philosophical debate a number of years ago. The person I was having the discussion with was a decent enough fellow - but he had very mixed and confused premises. One time when we were debating something and I was basically making mincemeat out of his arguments he said to me in frustration: “You are always right, aren’t you?” The tone in which he said it suggested that always being right was somehow a flaw.
I have also had people say to me: “You always have to be right, don’t you?” Uhhmmmm…yes, I do. Why would I wish to be otherwise? It is as if they actually expect me to respond by saying: “You have a point - I will try to be wrong once in a while just to make it fair.”
There is a term to describe going through life in a constant state of doubt that one’s knowledge is not valid based on an unspecified open-ended “possibility” that one might be wrong: skepticism. And skepticism is basically what your position here amounts to, Sparky.
I am not as convinced as Inspector that Sparky was necessarily attempting to be rude or insulting. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who equate any worldview which claims certainty with intrinsicism/dogmatism - and, historically, there are reasons why one might honestly jump to such a conclusion. Objectivism rejects both skepticism and intrinsicism and the Objectivist literature very specifically addresses the issues you raise, Sparky. If you are interested, buy or borrow a copy of Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand and read the sections where Dr. Peikoff talks about “Certainty As Contextual” (look in the index under “certainty”). You will see that Objectivism regards knowledge as “open” in the sense that it allows for new evidence and new discoveries. What is NOT “open,” however is Objectivism because, sadly, Ayn Rand is no longer around to take cognizance of any such new evidence and discoveries which may come along and incorporate them into her philosophy. That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t take cognizance of such new discoveries - but it would not be correct to regard them as Objectivism.
The point is, Sparky, the concerns you have raised in your postings have already been more than adequately addressed in the Objectivist literature - so if you are going to start posting to an Objectivist forum before you have taken the time necessary to read what Objectivism has to say about that which you are posting about, don’t be too surprised if your posting does not go over too well and people refuse to take you seriously.
As to why people here are not willing to argue such matters outside of the “debate” forum - well, part of it is because the arguments for skepticism that you are making are nothing new. We have heard them over and over and over again - and they have been more than adequately addressed in the Objectivist literature. There is nothing inherently dishonest with someone holding the view that you do if, based on your knowledge, you truly believe it to be the case - it is a pretty common reaction that people who have bought into certain mainstream philosophical premises often have when they are initially exposed to the philosophy. Most regulars do not participate in forums such as this one to rehash the same old objections over and over again. SoftwareNerd is correct: there are better places for such discussions. At least when I hung out there a few years go, there used to be a small handful of knowledgeable Objectivists “slumming” over on hpo on Usenet - and my guess is there still are. If you are polite and respectful, I suspect that you might find one or two who will be happy to debate the issue with you.
I happen to think it’s wrong not to consider the possibility, that’s all.
Well… let’s throw that one back at you: perhaps you ought to consider the “possibility” that your understanding of the actual Objectivist position on this issue is not as great as you apparently think it is.