Conventional wisdom says Mozart was a “genius” & perhaps one of the “greatest composers of melody”. His operas are in some respects the most well known works in the genre. There is a great deal of evidence that this conventional wisdom is mistaken & on some points just plain wrong.
I suspected as much. People tend to take things on authority.
I defy any average listener (a non-musician) to hum a Mozart melody from memory. Chances are you will get “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” perhaps a bit of the intro to “A Little Night Music” serenade for strings but little else. Then ask this average listener to hum a Beethoven or Tchaikovski melody. You might get Beethoven’s theme from Sym 5, “Fur Elise”, “Ode to Joy”, “Minuet in G”; you might get a number of Tchaikovski’s themes from “The Nutcracker”, “Swan Lake”, “Sleeping Beauty”, etc. Alternately, even if our listener doesn’t know the name of the composer, I would be willing to bet they know more “melodies” by Beethoven or Tchaikovski than by Mozart.
I understand what you are saying, but I don’t think one can consider that evidence for Mozart’s lack of musical brilliance. Rachmaninov, in my opinion, is the greatest composer that has ever lived, but few (if any) people can whistle his works.
There is a great deal of pointless bather & endless, rambling lines/parts/sections that don’t add up to much in Mozart’s music. Much of his work is whimsically, capriciously structured. I know from Music History that he wrote some things very quickly just to turn a buck.
You have it right on. Pretentious is defined as " seeming or pretending to be very important or excellent; showing off" (Webster’s New World). This sums up Mozart’s work. In my opinion, his music is generally nothing more than flashy scales and high notes sung in female arias. However, the works Turkish March and his
(I believe) 11th Symphony are great.
Now…Having, blasted him :dough: … I do greatly enjoy some of his works. Later symphonies (35-41) have great parts. Later piano concertos also. In his opera’s though I really have to limit it to some of his arias written for female parts. Now, some of those are sublime. But within the context of writing an aria, essentially a complete miniature composition (a “song” or “tune” if you will) he really knocked out some gems.
I will have to check that out.

This site has an…ummm…interesting (?) perspective on that issue:
http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/biography/mozart…MagicFlute.html
I didn’t read through the entire article, but I liked the following line:
"While his libretto has been derided until recently as “childish” and unworthy of the superb musical score, Goethe remarked that “More knowledge is required to understand the value of this libretto than to mock it!” "
My estimation, is that like most Mozart operas, it has a couple of nice arias, a decent overture, & a whole lot of pointless stuff in between.
Yo have it right on. I did like some of Cherebino’s arias, and also the last aria (sung by Susanna), but other than that - pointless.
This might help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operetta
Thank you. It was what I expected.