I asked, “In Objectivist morality, one has a duty not to violate the rights of humans, right?” And I got two answers:
(1) “No. Morally, there is no “duty” to anyone or anything except for yourself.” [ex_banana-eater]
(2) “Wrong. Violating others’ rights is irrational and unselfish, but there is no duty to refrain from it.” [y_feldblum]
Either Objectivism is inconsistent, or it’s open-ended as to whether one has a duty to oneself, or one of the above is inconsistent with Objectivism.
Also, (1) seems to respond as if I had mentioned a duty to others, which I did not.
Anyway, aside from whether ‘moral’ implies ‘duty’ (even duty to self), Objectivsm holds that it is not moral to violate the rights of others. And animals have no rights. Therefore, any immorality from torturing animals would have to be that torturing animals is not selfish, not an immorality of violating rights. Is that correct? That retains the meaning of my original questions but without ‘duty’.
I had written:
So it follows that there is no duty not to torture animals and there should be no laws against animal torture, right?
No, it does not follow.
It follows from the premises. You just disagree with the premises. Moreover, if you believe there are no duties and if you belive there should not be laws against animal torture, then you must believe there is no duty not to torture animals and there should be no laws against animal torture. So even if you think that conclusion does not follow from the premises, the conclusion is still true in your view.
[…] whether some position is a bit PC and tends to generate negative emotion at first - is irrelevant.
PC has nothing to do with it. But, it’s true that if you don’t believe that a moral theory needs to address things that nearly all people find morally repugnant, then you have no need for your moral theory to take account of such things.
Why do you think that is either a solution or cogent? Rights have everything to do with reason, and nothing to do with sensory stimuli.
Because it accounts for what was discussed above. If one doesn’t feel that needs to be accounted for, then no solution is needed. But since there are people who do believe it needs to be accounted for, Moose’s proposal does offer a solution. It’s cogent since it gets to the essence of the contrast between reason and pain.
Is Objectivism supposed to be some sort of Bible, with Ayn Rand preaching the commandments and the willing servants obeying them? Is that how you see it?
I’ve posted nothing that implies anything like that.
This is, in fact, the same question as the original question.
No it’s not. The original concerned physical pain only.
The answer is always, judge the action as it compares to your own personal standard of value. I cannot answer this for you, Lauric, until you state your standard of value.
I’m not asking for personal moral guidance from you.