HOW DO WE GO ABOUT INTRODUCING OBJECTIVISM TO THE AVERAGE PERSON? Is this even something we want to do?
For most Objectivists, the principles of Objectivism, once understood, are so obviously right that the desire to share them is overwhelming. The apathy with which they are usually met is monumentally frustrating at the very least. Maybe it’s in the presentation?
I have spent a fair amount of time visiting assorted sites dedicated to Objectivism. The impression I come away with is that Objectivism is viewed as a Golden Tabernacle on a High Hill. Those willing to make the climb are welcomed in but I have found little effort to make the way inviting.
Ayn Rand’s plot line in AS was a world-order crisis brought on by a global march toward Collectivism and speeded to its climax by The Strike. I’m not quite ready to go on strike just yet; as if the loss of my tiny mind would make a difference.
It is my contention that most people in the world who subscribe to some major religion are more in touch with the principles of Objectivism that we give them credit for. I have posted the point several times in my brief association here that The Golden Rule, stated as, “That which you would not have others do to you, do not to them,” is a very handy basic principle to follow as a practicing Objectivist. I have noted that this principle in some form or another is a key tenet in seven of the world’s major religions. Objectivism departs from religious beliefs mostly in the realm of the mysticism that clings to religions from their origins. In guidance on how to deal with your fellow humans, the similarities are greater than the differences and should provide a foundation for spreading the word.
If there is a consensus that it is in our interest to introduce people to the truths of Objectivism as we see them; and if we agree, at least for the sake of argument, that there is a shared core of values among Objectivism and other philosophies based on religion; what we can contrive through this Forum is something in the way of a checklist that will help us all present Objectivism to others in a way that makes it more palatable and less threatening.
If I can convince someone of the true meaning of man’s inalienable right to life and property; that no man has a claim on another man’s life; that all transactions among men must be voluntary; that the purpose of government is the protection of an individual’s rights; I shall be pleased. If he wants to cling to his concept of God as the creator, I am happy to let him have his security blanket.
If there is a thread here, and I suppose it should have one, it might be: HOW CAN WE PRESENT OBJECTIVISM TO OUR FRIENDS AND ASSOCIATES IN THE MOST POSITIVE LIGHT; AND HOW CAN WE BEST AVOID ALIENATING THEM TO THE IDEALS OF OBJECTIVISM?