How ought we talk to one another?
This is a question that I believe sometimes gets short shrift, not only among Objectivists but in the wider world. When someone has a good idea, or the right answer to a question, how does he best communicate that idea/answer to other people?
Perhaps some would contend that it does not matter. That it is enough to be right, and if there is to be any communication of a right idea at all it is wholly the recipient’s responsibility to understand, so no further thought needs be given to the method of delivery. But I disagree that this is true in all situations – the ability to communicate one’s ideas to others in an effective manner is sometimes important. For instance, if you were in the backseat of a car, and you saw an upcoming obstacle that the driver did not yet see, you would want to communicate this information effectively; “being right” will not itself save you from impact.
Recently, in another thread, a forum member raised the question as to whether or not satire is the best means of addressing irrational points of view – or whether making reasonable arguments are superior. I think that this is a question worth discussing. In this forum (as in life), I have had to contend with people who are insulting, and I have sometimes engaged in that sort of behavior myself, usually to my own regret. When, if ever, is it proper to resort to insults? When insulted, should one respond in kind? Is there any good to be gained in so doing, or are there better alternatives available?
I’d like to explore these sorts of questions. Speaking personally, how we answer them matters to me. I am often quick to take offense, and quick to anger (and to respond in anger), and so it has led me to reflect on my own approach to discussion and disagreement. I know that I still have much yet to improve. But I also think that, beyond my personal context, there’s potential for a greater application of the answers to these questions. I believe that I have observed many discussions on this forum which have soured, which perhaps could have been more fruitful for all involved – I think that this could be a more productive and enjoyable community, through greater attention paid to how we discuss ideas, even (especially) when we disagree. I also believe that Objectivists could potentially do a better job in communicating our ideas to reasonable people who are not yet Objectivists, and that we could work more quickly and easily to achieve the kind of society we’d like to create, if we’re willing to pay greater attention to our means of communication.
A quote which has resonated with me recently is “tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.”
Ironically with respect to this quote, I’m unsure of the means by which I can raise this topic, or discuss it in detail, tactfully. But I would like to try.
Any thoughts on this general subject, or answers to the two specific questions I’ve initially raised (when is satire appropriate? when are insults appropriate?) are welcome. Otherwise, I’m happy to have carved out a small area to discuss these kinds of topics when they occur to me, and others should feel free to make use of it as well.