Why Objectivism

Ok,

I read the brief description of Objectivism, and one question still rings loudly in my mind: Why?

Also, are objectivists religious or not religiously involved. Do they believe in a god?

I apologize in advance for the newbie nature of these questions.

Thanks

Also, are objectivists religious or not religiously involved. Do they believe in a god?

See http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pag…vism_FAQ#obj_q6

Ok,

looks like there isn’t a god when it comes to objectivism. My question is this: Why? Why be a good person?

Let me ask a reciprocal question . . . why do you want to know? What is your interest in Objectivism? Why do its atheistic aspects incite you to ask questions? What is it that you hope to find out?

If you provide a little more background we may be able to assist you, as it stands you’re pretty much asking for hundreds of pages of explanatory text.

Let me ask a reciprocal question . . . why do you want to know? What is your interest in Objectivism? Why do its atheistic aspects incite you to ask questions? What is it that you hope to find out?

If you provide a little more background we may be able to assist you, as it stands you’re pretty much asking for hundreds of pages of explanatory text.

Actually,

I’m just doing some research on religion and philosophy. I’m curious what is out there and what people think. That’s it. Hope I didn’t come accross as attacking. I find that talking with real people is a much better way to get an inside look at religion - rather than reading reports. What got you into Objectivism?

Thanks for your help - I don’t mean to waste your time.

The one really nice thing about Objectivism is that Ayn Rand (the creator of the philosophy) made it relatively easy to understand (when compared to the writings of Kant, Hume, etc.). So I’d suggest you read some Objectivist text or look on the Objectivist Wiki.

Wikipedia could also provide you with the basics. More specificially, Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand is a comprehensive text on the philosophy. The Virtue of Selfishness is also helpful.

I read the brief description of Objectivism, and one question still rings loudly in my mind: Why?

Because it’s TRUE! :slight_smile:

Ok,

looks like there isn’t a god when it comes to objectivism. My question is this: Why? Why be a good person?

Hi Triple,

If the answer of a Christian to your question is “because God says so”, while that is an answer, it’s still not a very satisfying one. It’s a bit arbitrary don’t you think?

Objectivism says that the answer to “Why be good?”, can be developed from the nature of man, that is by the requirements for his survival and a flourishing life. That is, because man has a particular nature, the good for man therefore also has a particular nature, and reason can be used to develop those principles.

Ok,

That helps. I’ll do some more research and swing by when I have some real questions (haha)

Thanks everyone.

I find that talking with real people is a much better way to get an inside look at religion - rather than reading reports. What got you into Objectivism?

For starters you are making the mistake of either inadvertantly or advertantly labelling Objectivism as a religion. It is not a religion. It is a philosophy. If you realise that and did not mean to imply it is a religion then you need to be more careful with how you use words or else you will have people misunderstand what you say and surely you do not want that. Secondly the aforementioned sources are good, as is Ayn Rand’s Philosphy: Who Needs it and Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology, though as the name states it only tells you about the Objectivist epistemology, not the full philosophy.

For starters you are making the mistake of either inadvertantly or advertantly labelling Objectivism as a religion. It is not a religion. It is a philosophy. If you realise that and did not mean to imply it is a religion then you need to be more careful with how you use words or else you will have people misunderstand what you say and surely you do not want that. Secondly the aforementioned sources are good, as is Ayn Rand’s Philosphy: Who Needs it and Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology, though as the name states it only tells you about the Objectivist epistemology, not the full philosophy.

My apologies. I should have been more careful with my wording. Thanks for the helpful correction / direction (hey, that rhymes - haha)

My apologies. I should have been more careful with my wording. Thanks for the helpful correction / direction (hey, that rhymes - haha)

Yeah, well as a writer I can be a bit fussy about wording at times. It is also because I strongly believe in consistent, rational, and objective use of language.

Oh, and good on you for deciding to make an effort. If only more people would do that their would be a hell of a lot less misunderstandings in the world. Most misunderstandings are due to poor or ambiguous use of words rather than a fault of the listener.

What got you into Objectivism?

Now, there’s a question with a helpful answer, I (and probably most of the Objectivists on the board) got into Objectivism by reading the writings of Ayn Rand, saying something like “well that makes sense”, and pursuing it from there.

Now, granted, you may be able to say the same thing about Scientologists, and Objectivism is nothing like Scientology whatsoever. Scientology is a weird cult-like religion and Objectivism is a rational philosophy.

If I may make a wild and possibly inaccurate generalization, I think most people get into other religions and philosophies in one of two ways: a.) they were raised to it and b.) it gives them some kind of emotional support or thrill that they feel they need. Without indoctrination of the young and willful emotionalism they would probably wither away and die. These same two procedures would result in Objectivism rotting from the inside, they don’t sustain the philosophy or service it in any way. It’s something to think about, anyway.

I got into it from being pointed to her works by the authoer Terry Goodkind (whom is an Objectivist apparently. He certaintly seems to beleive many of the same stuff as you would expect one to anyway).

So I read her works starting with the great novel Atlas Shrugged. Which is by far the best place to start, as it is a very well presented, compelling book that presents a good summary of Objectivism and is I gather where most start with their reading of Ayn Rand.

Anyway, I thought to myself "Actually unlike the other nonsense I have been presented with this makes sense, and goes along with some of the things I have always thought! This is how man SHOULD think if he wants to live according to his nature and to be happy. This philosophy I thought , can help me grasp the concepts that I need to be a rational man and to blow the other garbage I have been feed with out of the water.

This has proven quite true, and Objectivism has proven to be entirely consistent with reality and mans nature as a rational being capable of great joy. What better reason to choose that as a philosophy by which to live ones life?

Without indoctrination of the young and willful emotionalism they would probably wither away and die. These same two procedures would result in Objectivism rotting from the inside, they don’t sustain the philosophy or service it in any way.

I’m not sure what you mean by the latter part of this. I understand and agree that without indoctrinating youth into religion that religion would certainly wither, but are you suggesting that indoctrinating the young into Objectivism that Objectivism would also wither? Can Objectivism be indoctrinated like religion, ala “It’s true because I said so”? That wouldn’t be Objectivism.

Or am I completely missing what you’re saying?

So, out of curiousity, does Rand say anything regarding why we are to try to be good people? Or are we? It seems that everything that I’ve heard thus far does make sense rationally, except for the reasoning behind being good. Why be good, why not be bad - when it comes to objectivism?

I’m truly curious - I hope that my questions and comments don’t come accross as attacking or classless.

So, out of curiousity, does Rand say anything regarding why we are to try to be good people? Or are we? It seems that everything that I’ve heard thus far does make sense rationally, except for the reasoning behind being good. Why be good, why not be bad - when it comes to objectivism?

I’m truly curious - I hope that my questions and comments don’t come accross as attacking or classless.

I’m not sure what you mean by “good.” What defines a “good” person?

In general, however, one should do the right thing because it is in his rational self-interest to do so.

What make something right/wrong? Objectivism holds life as the standard of value. Objectivism also holds that your own life should be your life’s purpose. Thus, something that makes your life better is good.

Of course, that is very general. The Virtue of Selfishness goes into this idea much more comprehensively.

So, out of curiousity, does Rand say anything regarding why we are to try to be good people? Or are we? It seems that everything that I’ve heard thus far does make sense rationally, except for the reasoning behind being good. Why be good, why not be bad - when it comes to objectivism?

You should be good because it is in your self-interest. By being good you achieve values and self-esteem. Being bad results in the destruction of values and your self-esteem.

So ultimately, is it up to me to determine what is right and wrong? I assume that truth is relative in objectivism.

I appreciate the fact that no-one has just written me off yet btw.

So ultimately, is it up to me to determine what is right and wrong? I assume that truth is relative in objectivism.

I appreciate the fact that no-one has just written me off yet btw.

Not exactly. Truth isn’t “relative”, truth is dependent on an accurate recognition of reality. You have senses which observe reality, and a cognitive ability to use to understand reality. In order for something to be true, it must be real, not simply “relative”. There is no “perception is reality” in Objectivism.