Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

Thomas M. Miovas Jr.

whYNOT "I had an impossible thought: imagine a dictatorial M.E. State which lost such a war of

aggression, then willingly turning right round and embracing separation of mosque and State, individual rights, rule by objective law, and capitalism. A new, and possibly unique

exemplar of liberty to the world.

Dreaming, I guess..."

You never know and you could be surprised. People who are living under a dictatorial State are hardly happy people.All they need is a chance.

See for example this great documentary.

Leon,

Thanks, it is a good watch. A reminder that we are not in conflict with all citizens of Iran (or with all Muslims.)

One cannot blame those people for believing that Democracy would save them.

After all, it's a foreign concept, one they barely understand.

I think all that democracy, per se, achieves, in this context, is another despot in the form of Shariah law, and rule by mob and Imams - and the cycle of violence starts again.

Edited by whYNOT

Leon,

Thanks, it is a good watch. A reminder that we are not in conflict with all citizens of Iran (or with all Muslims.)

One cannot blame those people for believing that Democracy would save them.

After all, it's a foreign concept, one they barely understand.

I think all that democracy, per se, achieves, in this context, is another despot in the form of Shariah law, and rule by mob and Imams - and the cycle of violence starts again.

Yes, democracy is beyond the point. It is a certain way to put certain people in the position of power. True, modern democracy presupposes an accountability , checks and balances system, separation of judiciary, legislature and the executive mechanism-but this is barely a case even in the West-our own country is a " good" example. Democracy should be based on the iron clad principle of individual rights. With such principle in place even a monarchy could do.