Objectivism Online Forum

Topic Closed

Rate this topic

Eurynomus

yeah why was it closed? I know it was a rediculous theory, but millions of people are buying into it. and the makers of the video were using "scientifi" evidence... if the people's reaction to this nonsense doesn't scare you I don't know what would? people *believe* it!!! and at first glance, ( the first, oh, ten minutes,) neven I believed it.

Yeah, sorry about that, sN.

http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.php?showtopic=8676

I just want to know what, specifically, can be debunked here. I'm sure it can be -- Popular Mechanics debunked the points made in those "Loose Change" videos -- but as far as I have seen, nothing has been done with this video. I'm interested what Objectivists think about the material, especially those with any physics background.

Alright, GreedyCapitalist, I understand that.

Is there any Objectivist literature that you are aware of that deals with conspiracy theories, in general?

I don't have a problem with debunking - but the premise of the thread was "Here is a serious question - do you think it is true?" You might as well start a thread with "Do you think the moon is made out of green cheese? Why or why not?"

I don't have a problem with debunking - but the premise of the thread was "Here is a serious question - do you think it is true?" You might as well start a thread with "Do you think the moon is made out of green cheese? Why or why not?"

And did Neil Armstrong et al really land there, or was it a Walt Disney production? I'm sick of that one, too.

I agree, any "theory" that flies in the face of mountains of evidence deserves no serious discussion.

As for debunking the 9/11 conspiracy theories, Popular Mechanics had a really good article on it. Click here to read it.

Well, do you have conclusive evidence that the moon is NOT made of green cheese? Since the whole moon landing was faked anyway after the cover-up of the Kennedy assassination...

Well, do you have conclusive evidence that the moon is NOT made of green cheese? Since the whole moon landing was faked anyway after the cover-up of the Kennedy assassination...

There was a cover-up of the Kennedy assissination? Well then, what goes around comes around because Kennedy also covered up the assassination of Marilyn Munroe after she threatened to expose details of her relationship with him...

so anyone with phisics backgrownd interested in making a video on youtube explaining why the conspiracy theory is a fly in the face of mountains of evidence.

see, your atttitude is not very good, when you laugh at this kind of propeganda. this can lead to some serious problems.... the "masses" are falling for it. the "masses" will vote according to it.

so anyone with phisics backgrownd interested in making a video on youtube explaining why the conspiracy theory is a fly in the face of mountains of evidence.
I think that anyone interested in making that case might be taken more seriously if they would definitively opt for either the standard spelling "physics" or the funny spelling "fizzix", idem "background" or "bakgwownd". Anybody who purports to be competent in physics can get their lunatic ideas vetted in a peer-reviewed journal that is actually edited by real physicists, who have some understanding of the nature of existence (in contrast to the lunatics, who say "Oh, look! Reality! So like, it must be the opposite of that!").
see, your atttitude is not very good, when you laugh at this kind of propeganda. this can lead to some serious problems.... the "masses" are falling for it. the "masses" will vote according to it.
Is that a threat? Are you actually saying that you're going to campaign the masses to take away our rights by force, if we won't waste our time proving the self-evident, namely that these idiots are, let's see, what's the word I'm looking for... Oh, I know, idiots.

You should at most be arguing that we should be hitting the streets and engaging the irrationals everywhere they show up. I do my part: every time some idiot say something utterly stupid, I do my best to expose his stupidity in public, so that others may judge for themselves. Are you dissatisfied with my work? This simply is not the right place for expending energy on debunking lunacy. If you've got half of the technical background that would let you debunk a crazy claim, and need help on the other half, this would be a fine place to get help, but you gotta be able to go half way.

I am not seriously arguing that there was a cover up of Kennedy's assassination. Why do you think he covered up Marilyn Monroe's death?

Las, i'm not serious either! i heard this Marilyn conspiracy theory many years ago, and i was just following you. (Did i say 'assassination'? murder is the word.) But no, Las, i obviously don't believe it!

I think that anyone interested in making that case might be taken more seriously if they would definitively opt for either the standard spelling "physics" or the funny spelling "fizzix", idem "background" or "bakgwownd". Anybody who purports to be competent in physics can get their lunatic ideas vetted in a peer-reviewed journal that is actually edited by real physicists, who have some understanding of the nature of existence (in contrast to the lunatics, who say "Oh, look! Reality! So like, it must be the opposite of that!").

well, if I were the one destributing this kind of crazy propaganda, of course I wouldn't get far. because as you mentioned, and as is true, I spell like a retard, and I don't express myself well. but unfortunately, these people, give you what they call "scientific evidence." how can you argue with that? I mean, it is true, how did WTC 7 collapse? no plane hit that...?

Is that a threat? Are you actually saying that you're going to campaign the masses to take away our rights by force, if we won't waste our time proving the self-evident, namely that these idiots are, let's see, what's the word I'm looking for... Oh, I know, idiots.
lol... i gotta give it to you - you're funny

of course it's not a threat, come on, I am just worrying, aren't you?

You should at most be arguing that we should be hitting the streets and engaging the irrationals everywhere they show up. I do my part: every time some idiot say something utterly stupid, I do my best to expose his stupidity in public, so that others may judge for themselves. Are you dissatisfied with my work? This simply is not the right place for expending energy on debunking lunacy. If you've got half of the technical background that would let you debunk a crazy claim, and need help on the other half, this would be a fine place to get help, but you gotta be able to go half way.

yes, you should do everything to expose his stupidity in public - that's what I meant.... but not in writing, maybe in another video, you know, as entertaining as you can make it. never underestimate the power of entertainment! (this is one thing Ronald Reagan was well aware of)

the scary part is: the lunatics are very entertaining. people are interested in what they say, and are wiling to believe it even, if it has "proof" and if you watch these videos - they definitely provide proof

of course it's not a threat, come on, I am just worrying, aren't you?
No. It is true that there are Nostradamus nuts in most towns (like Duke in Arlen, TX), but they are no threat. If they really were a threat, I'd worry. I'm more worried about deconstructionist epistemology-destroyers who get jobs in schools. For the forseeable future, the nutters are just funny.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.