Welcome Guest

Navigation

• Objectivism Online Wiki

On Social Media:

Welcome to Objectivism Online Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Can I morally buy an evil movie?

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

happiness

happiness

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
One of my favorite people, Justin Timberlake, recently got mixed up with a movie ("In Time") that appears to have an anti-capitalist message. I like Timberlake because he normally beams with egoism and benevolence, not to mention talent. I trust that he doesn't mean any harm; unfortunately he just lacks awareness of philosophical issues and therefore doesn't know any better. Is it moral to buy the movie just to see him in it?

Edited by happiness, 25 April 2012 - 03:37 AM.

Grames

Grames

Serial Thinker

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
Yes it is.

As an aside, I would reserve the term 'evil' to refer to persons and not inanimate objects. Movies can be good or bad.

Leonid

Leonid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
Movies are primary not a message , they are work of art and have mainly aesthetic value. For example the message of " Avatar" is far far away from the Objectivist philosophy but it is beautifully made and it is a pleasure to watch it-especially 3D version. I watched it 3 times. In contrast the movie " Atlas Shrugged" has all its messages right but it's awfully made and I will never watch it again.

Edited by Leonid, 29 April 2012 - 09:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users