Objectivism Online Forum

Religulous - Bill Maher Documentary Mocking Religion

Rate this topic

Chops

Bill Maher is apparently making a movie mocking religion called "Religulous." It seems to be quite amusing indeed.

The trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8fPJ6zds8

Funny? Most likely. Useful? Probably not. While Christianity is deeply flawed, it does provide an internally consistent philosophy to many misguided people. What can Bill offer as an alternative? Nothing but the usual scorn and derision, I'm sure. Philosophy: Who needs it?

• 2 weeks later...
Funny? Most likely. Useful? Probably not. While Christianity is deeply flawed, it does provide an internally consistent philosophy to many misguided people.

Yep, and guides them straight into a life of immorality on almost every level. Plus, the film seems to be attacking all religions, not just Christianity.

Knock 'em dead, Bill! I can't wait. The only proper thing to say here is: God bless Bill Maher! :D

Funny? Most likely. Useful? Probably not.

There are two ways to kill a false and evil idea, Dr. Radiaki: heavy argumentation and light mockery. In other words: refutation and laughter.

We need both! And Maher's documentary is probably gonna be pretty good at the latter. It'll probably make it harder for people to take religion seriously. That's a victory for truth and reason! :lol:

Give me a break. The only people interested in even seeing this movie are going to be people who already don't believe in religion. You honestly mean to tell me that you think some religious person will watch this and have their views on religion drastically altered? Not gonna happen.