Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Public Interest Monopolies

MasterScowler
    By MasterScowler,
    I am curious as to any thoughts on this topic; e.g. is it unethical to legislate against monopolies where public interest is a prime factor; is it foolish not to? To wit: I live in the Chicago suburbs, and in Illinois, the phone giant SBC has been directed to lease out its networks to competitors at greatly reduced prices. I am not fully aware of the details of the matter, but that is semantic anyway. As I see it, SBC built the networks, and as such, despite that it benefits me directly

Morality of accepting government funds or employment

carriew7
    By carriew7,
    Hi everyone!! I have a scenario that I would like your feedback on! A woman is studying Objectivism, and wants to implement it into her psycho-epistemology. Her goal is to go to University, and integrate Objectivism into whatever career she chooses. She is starting out with nothing, no help from her parents. She wants to save up for it, but realizes, that it will take, probably many years. She also wan

Income Tax

dondigitalia
    By dondigitalia,
    Income taxes make me and I owed $3000 this year. All of the checks just cleared. My balance is hideously low. It sickens me to know that my productivity is going to provide for welfare and medicare recipients across the country. I can't think of a single use I personally make of the taxes I pay. I don't recieve welfare. I don't recieve public health insurance. I don't collect social security (and will probably never be able to). I don't drive, so my use of the roads is minimal. It

Greetings From Kentucky

redfarmer
    By redfarmer,
    Hello, my name is Chris Rothbauer. I'm 23 years old from Louisville, Kentucky. I discovered Ayn Rand's book in January and, so far, I've read all of her non-fiction books (except for a few essays from The Voice of Reason) and am in the process of reading Atlas Shrugged (it's such a complicated book that it has taken me since January to get through it but I'm almost there). When I discovered Ayn Rand, I'd been struggling with depression since my teenage years. You see, I had been an active C

A Blatant Example of Liberal Racism

AutoJC
    By AutoJC,
    Check out how Sen. Kerrey introduces himself to Condoleezza Rice The author can't help but think this remark was racially motivated. I certainly think it is.

Capitalism: making the pie bigger for everyone

Guest bartwart
    By Guest bartwart,
    First, let's broaden this topic out to laisse-faire capitalism because I believe that's what we both(RH and I) had in mind. This statement is in no way unphilosophical, misleading, or contradictory of Objectivism. Capitalism is sustainable precisely because it makes the pie bigger. That's really the key point here. You cannot divorce it's sustainability from the fact that it improves everyones* lives. Yes, it is the only moral system for ethical individuals to participate in AND is it s

Kerry Sloganators

y_feldblum
    By y_feldblum,
    Snooze Button Dreams has a Kerry Sloganator; go see it. Here's mine.

Re: Bearster's Open Letter

DavidV
    By DavidV,
    The thread has been moved. For details, read this post.

Aristotle and Rand as Obsolete?

argive99
    By argive99,
    I'm just curious here if someone who has far more knowledge of O'ist epistemology than I could help me with this statement made by a supporter of modern non-local quantum theory. "Quantum physics has been verified and reverified over the last century in more experiments than can be named: while one may debate what the experiments mean, nobody can deny what occurences have been observed (contrast this to the philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle who provided nothing observerable, only sem

Mandatory Reporting

Old Geezer
    By Old Geezer,
    There are laws requiring caregivers for the elderly and for children to report abuse if it is in any way suspected. While it is clearly morally acceptable to be pro-active in such a situation, is it appropriate for the government to mandate active participation by employees? Why?

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS