Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Diverting the Blame for September 11th

AutoJC
    By AutoJC,
    Excelent commentary by Onkar Ghate Why is it that this bogus commission isn't investigating the most obvious problem with America dealing with terrorism? The 9-11 commission thinks that 9-11 could have been prevented with better intelligence. Problem is, American interests have been attacked since 1979, when Iran fell to the fundamentalists and the American Embassy was stormed. Look to the 9-11 commission to come up with the wrong conclusions.

Mark Skousen's critique of Ayn Rand

Capleton
    By Capleton,
    I would like to get some comments on the article that is linked below. In my view Mark drops the context in his desperate effort to form an effective critique (he failed!). The Troubled Economics of Ayn Rand http://www.mskousen.com/Books/Articles/0101aynrand.html

Are Mormons Polytheists?

MisterSwig
    By MisterSwig,
    In researching Mormons I've learned that they don't believe in the Trinity. Rather, they believe that there are separate personages in Heaven, namely Heavenly Father, Heavenly Mother, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. According to Mormons, there are other entities in Heaven, but those four get the most attention. My question then: Does this make Mormonism a polytheistic religion? Or can it properly still be considered monotheistic? (As far as I can tell, Mormons deny the charge of polythei

Greetings from the welfare state of Minnesota

Guest RationalEgoist
    By Guest RationalEgoist,
    Its good to be here. Though I haven't had much chance to look around, there seems to be quite a good amount of activity here... often a good sign. Anyhow, I am an actor and part-time writer (more on than off) living in the Twin Cities. I'm 31, and before I make this seem like some dating profile, know that I already found my Dagny (in intellect, accomplishment and purpose... Oh, and a knockout besides ), lol... well I'll be posting. Ciao RE$

New Beginners Forum

DavidV
    By DavidV,
    I’ve created a forum for basic questions about philosophy/Objectivism. Moderators, please move topics to and from there as you deem necessary. Also, edit the thread titles if they are not clear. All questions there should be in the form of a question and be common questions about Objectivism –on a topic that is included in OPAR, for example. If you are not sure where something belongs, leave a link to the old location when you move a thread.

Hark, the Master Scowler!

MasterScowler
    By MasterScowler,
    I am the Master Scowler, for even unbidden I scowl dismayingly -and indeed, when focused, with baneful disapprobation! I do not broadly advertise my real name over the internet, no offense. The nick originated with my wife, in a way. She was upset with me one day for being unfriendly at a family function, proclaiming, "You're always scowling at somebody." To which I replied: "I don't scowl all the time... I've been known to smirk on occasion." She was unamused, I find no end to it. Heh heh.

London Objectivist Conference

ragnarhedin
    By ragnarhedin,
    There will be an Objectivist conference in London in September (24-27). Among the speakers are John Ridpath, John Lewis, Tore Boeckmann, Rob Tracinski and Scott McConnell. Check it out at http://www.icognition.biz/iCon2004 If you know any Objectivists in Europe, it might be a good idea to alert them.

The profiling Quiz

Old Geezer
    By Old Geezer,
    I saw these questions on another board and thought they were hysterical, 1. In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred by: a. Olga Corbett b. Sitting Bull c. Arnold Schwarzenegger d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40 2. In 1979, the U.S. embassy in Iran was taken over by: a. Lost Norwegians b. Elvis c. A tour bus full of 80-year-old women d. Muslim ma

Dr Amy Peikoff at UNC-Chapel Hill

WGD
    By WGD,
    Thanks to a $1,000,000 gift(multi-year) to the UNC philosophy department from the BB&T Charitable Foundation, a "BB&T Visiting Assistant Professor" (among other things) was created. Dr. Amy Peikoff will hold it during the 2004-2005 academic year.

Could I be an Objectivist?

RationalBiker
    By RationalBiker,
    First off, this is my first post. I am very new to the philosophy of Objectivism. It's highly probably that I will ask stupid questions as my base of knowledge on this topic is very rudimentary at this point. None the less, the philosophy is interesting to me. Of the few concepts I have read to date, I can "relate" to virtually all of them right off the bat. My objective on this forum is to increase my understanding of this philosophy in order to determine if indeed I may have been somewhat

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS