Objectivism Online Forum

New Feature: Free Email/Websites

Rate this topic

I'm giving away [email protected] emails to help promote the site. Anyone interested? You get a full-featured account with webmail, lots of space, IMAP/POP, SPAM filtering, and all the trimmings.

Anyone interested? Is this a good promotional idea?

As before, if you have an Objectivist club, you can get a yourclub.objectivismonline.net hosted here at no charge.

Update:

ObjectivismOnline offers free blogs and email accounts for rational individuals as well as websites for campus clubs. You can host your blog or mail account at one of three domains: objectivismonline.net, rationalmind.net, and heroicdesigns.com. We are also provide free websites and web design help to campus clubs. To get your account, contact David with your desired subdomain, username, and password. For questions or technical support, please post on the forum.

Email for all it is. Message me with your desired name and password, and I will get back to you with confirmation and all the instructions.

I will give out free email to everyone that asks until further notice. If it begins to be a drain on the server, I will ask for a minor contribution (around $10) to subsidize the costs. Of course donations for the site are always welcome :-)

(I'll put general new account info for reference)

Webmail login:

http://ObjectivismOnline.com:2095/

(You get a choice of 3 webmail clients, so just pick your favorite.)

Mail server for POP/IMAP: mail.objectivismonline.net

For login info, type [email protected] and your password (lower case)

The email comes with SpamAssasing filtering enabled. Set your mail client to filter messages with the word "SPAM" in the header to go to a separate folder if you don't want to see it.

Msg GreedyCapitalist on AIM if you need help.

Lower case? :huh:

The address in that link consists entirely of numbers! :rolleyes:

...I'm not entirely sure whether you're joking, or you just misunderstood what I was talking about.

I tried the mail.objectivismonline.net address too, and it didn't give me a "This page cannot be displayed" error like the other one did, but there was nothing there.

Oh...well then what's that "webmail login" page that doesn't work for?

The page should work. It allows you to check your email via the web using your choice of 3 webmail clients. It's like hotmail or yahoo mail -- only it's faster, better, and without the ads.

I still have not been able to get my email acount to work, either at home or at work. I think part of the problem at work might be that I'm operating on a LAN, behind a firewall. But I can't figure out why I can't get it to work elsewhere. Are you sure that you set up the account with the password I sent to you (no type-o's or anything)? I think maybe it's just that my password isn't working for some reason.

I still have not been able to get my email acount to work, either at home or at work.  I think part of the problem at work might be that I'm operating on a LAN, behind a firewall.  But I can't figure out why I can't get it to work elsewhere.  Are you sure that you set up the account with the password I sent to you (no type-o's or anything)?  I think maybe it's just that my password isn't working for some reason.

Ash,

Can you message me on an instant messaging program? That would make troubleshooting a lot easier.

The fact that you are on a LAN doesn't matter. Yes, the password is correct. Do you have outlook express? I can send you a file that will auto-configure it to work. Note that the login and password should be lower case.

Unfortunately, I can't install instant messenging programs on my computer at work (it's forbidden by the IT powers that be), which is where I am all weekend (including right now) and where I do most of my online activities (such as participating in message boards) from.

I have attempted to set it up in Outlook Express, and it's not that complicated so I don't think I've made any errors. But I get this error when I attempt to connect to my email account via Outlook Express:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'ashryan', Server: 'mail.objectivismonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Don't know why. I'm pretty sure I've got everything set up correctly (according to your instructions).

I was able to access the above webmail ip address.

You must make certain that the login name is the FULL email address.

I also have a firewall established (apple airport). Yet I was able to set this up and send and receive email in entourage (outlook for the mac) with no problems whatsoever.

The ip address results in a "The page cannot be displayed" error when I try to access it from work.

I have tried using the full email address as the login, and still have the same problems. I have been unsuccessful at accessing my email account using Outlook from either work or home. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if the problem is just with both of the computers that I'm using (which is a possibility, since I've had other problems with both computers).

Which version of what browser are you using to access the page?

And in oe - besides just ashryan, you are saying you did use ashryan @objectivismonline.net as well, correct? I ask because the error message you quote only seems to indicate you used ashryan.

Which version of what browser are you using to access the page?

And in oe - besides just ashryan, you are saying you did use ashryan @objectivismonline.net as well, correct? I ask because the error message you quote only seems to indicate you used ashryan.

I'm currently using Internet Explorer 5.50.

In Outlook (or at least in the version I'm using right now), there are different fields called "Mail account" and "Account name". So far as I can tell, the latter is the one that has to contain the actual name of the account, and the former can be set as anything I want and it doesn't matter (and so was simply "ashryan", which is what showed up in the error message). Regardless, I tried putting the full email address even in the former field, and it still made no difference.

Ash,

Your login is [email protected]

Try an alternate webmail login at

http://216.66.18.91:2082/frontend/default/...bmaillogin.html

I attached an Outlook Express auto-configure registry script. Delete your current mail account, click and say "yes".

(All this script does is create a new mail account using mail.objectivismonline.net and ashryan at objectivismonline dot net)

I have an online live chat program at http://ObjectivismOnline.com/chat/

If you are unable to use instant messaging, it may be a good idea to try the chat..

The alternate webmail login didn't work, and neither did the file you attached.

With RadCap's help, using the Method of Difference ;), I have pretty much determined the problem to be with the computer I'm using (I think). So I'm going to try from a different computer later and see if I can get it to work.

Well, the webmail login works for me everywhere except for from work. So I've been able to access and use my email account now.

I still haven't been able to use Outlook to access my account from either work or home. But at home, I can just use the webmail server, so it's no big deal. And I guess I just can't use that email address from here at work. Oh well.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest ASelameab

I would like an email account please. What does the "hosting of your club online" consist of. A website? An pesonalized email account?

Edited by Free Thinker

I would like an email account please. What does the "hosting of your club online" consist of. A website? An pesonalized email account?

Both. For examplle, http://uofu.objectivismonline.net/ or http://minn.objectivismonline.net/forum/ and [email protected]

Message me with your desired subdomain, email address, and password if you would like web space or an email account.

Edited by Free Thinker

• 3 months later...

From the main site:

Looking for a place to host your blog? ObjectivismOnline offers free blogs and email accounts for rational individuals as well as websites for campus clubs. You can host your blog or mail account at one of three domains: objectivismonline.net, rationalmind.net, and heroicdesigns.com. We are also provide free websites and web design help to campus clubs. To get your account, contact David (that's me) with your desired subdomain, username, and password. For questions or technical support, please post on the forum.

• 1 month later...

Just a passing thought:

You offer one of three domains: objectivismonline.net, rationalmind.net, and heroicdesigns.com

All of the three are relatively long. I think most people will fancy small, compact domain names. Something like "objectivism.net" or "opar.net" or "eobjective.net" or something more cooler like "iObjectivist.net". Guess ! it will really attract more sign-on's.