Objectivism Online Forum

Homogenization

Rate this topic

aynfan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the only way that might be a moral way to do what you are suggesting here is if it is not done by governmental force.  But you specifically said you should "force the kids to work together" (emphasis added), so what you are suggesting isn't any more moral than the draft.  Government "expirements" of forced segregation, integration, etc. cannot solve problems of racism--rather, they serve only to reinforce racial identification and have led to the rise of multiculturalism that we see today.

I never mentioned the government. I would imagine that a school which had problems stemming from racial factioning might choose to institute some kind of 'working together' initiative of their own accord.

Is there an ethical way to widen association and the exchange of ideas?

This question actually confuses me, strangely enough. The answer is "obviously yes", so maybe I don't understand the implications of your question, or maybe this really is the "What should I do?" question. If you have a copy of "Philosophy: Who Needs It" you should look at the essay "What can one do?". Speaking very broadly, you should try to engage others in rational discussion. Exactly how to do that depends on your particular circumstances, but surely you interact with other humans and some of the time they say stupid things like "It would be better if those big heartless companies would just give a decent nonexplotive living wage to their workers". Rather than silently thinking "God, why do I even bother to know these people?", you should say something. The secret is, most people who babble these kinds of leftist platitudes don't actually believe this nonsense, they are just looking for a warm, fuzzy pat on the back and some psychological reinforcement. You can do miraculous things by simply gently opposing such nonsense, forcing them to check their assumptions. Nobody actually likes that nonsense, so it can be a positive thing to let them know that The Standard Nonsense is not believed by all.

Now, to directly answer your question: don't use a shotgun to force people to talk to you.