Objectivism Online Forum

What do you think about this video?

Rate this topic

Mammon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=copOYXvEsRs&NR=1

There could be alot of interpretations. Part of me wants to say it's anti-capitalist, but then part of me wants to say it's anti-Alpha-Male-dominate-by-force.

I say it's completely anti-man. The song is "evolution," which implies -- look we went from microbes to monkeys to barbaric men who only use our minds to create warfare, weapons, and "evil" buildings that crop up across the landscape like weeds and smokestacks that pump out naughty toxins while the big evil corporatist looks on. The song implies that "this is what we have evolved into" as in, this is what man IS.

Alright, compared to that one, what do you think of this one?

Similiar theme, but I think it's more directed at the anti-Evolution crowd. Notice how it's in a government hearing and the overtly Republican politicians and priests are in an uproar.

Alright, compared to that one, what do you think of this one?

They're both UGH. Musicwise, crap quality and not at all entertaining. Contentwise, unimaginative misanthropic cliches.

Similiar theme, but I think it's more directed at the anti-Evolution crowd.

The two themes are substantially different. The PJ schlock is determinist and saying that we're inherently brutes, while the Korn schlock (which appears to be plagiarising the movie Idiocracy, itself in turn likely an idea cribbed from elsewhere) is implicitly volitional and saying that the overall quality of humanity is collapsing because of the choices people make. Both are disgusting, but I think the latter is worse because it (like Idiocracy) lends itself to demands for control over population and reproduction for the collective good.

I think you're also reading the objectors' anger wrong. The priests aren't upset about evolution per se, they're objecting to the idea that things wont go the way Revelations told them and instead that the future was entirely in man's hand independent of the plans of their god. The politicians aren't even objecting to anything, but want the warned-of consequences of reproductive anarchy to come to pass so they can keep foisting mere bananas on idiot people and keep the money for themselves.

JJM

I've got to say, I loved the animation on the 'Do The Evolution' video. I thought it was very well done, and it speaks volumes of what paper and ink animation is still capable of (although often what happens is that things like lighting are computer generated - so I'm not sure if there's such thing anymore as 'pure' paper and ink). Reminds me of Batman: The Animated Series or of The Animatrix (and obviously, that last scene is ripped straight from Akira - the one film which is the anime-epitome of style over substance).

That said, the theme is horrendously anti-man; but the animation is superb. It's stuff like that which convinces me that Atlas Shrugged would look fantastic as a paper-ink animated picture than a real-life film.

The two themes are substantially different. The PJ schlock is determinist and saying that we're inherently brutes,

I don't know about the Korn song/video, but this is certainly accurate. Pearl Jam's entire album Yield was a tribute to some book that they all enjoyed, which was largely anti-capitalist. I gather that it set out to show how our technological advances have done nothing to alieve the suffering of men but only increase the complexity and scale of our domination over each other. I further gather that it implies our will to dominate is a product of our brutal biological history, as a species--the only reason we survived and dominated was our superior skills to exercise aggression.

I've got to say, I loved the animation on the 'Do The Evolution' video. I thought it was very well done, and it speaks volumes of what paper and ink animation is still capable of (although often what happens is that things like lighting are computer generated - so I'm not sure if there's such thing anymore as 'pure' paper and ink).

I completely agree, they did a great job of illustrating a disgusting idea. I've always admired Pearl Jam's poetic, creative power; but rarely do I agree with the choice of theme.