Objectivism Online Forum

Chinas Economy?

Rate this topic

Haemp

I'm currently writing a paper on the fourth may movement and its impact on Chinas culture. Now, my teacher is the regular "aging-hippie-liberal-douche" type so he will be looking forward to a positive review. However this is not what I want to give him.

I have googled on chinas economy without any greater success. I want an analyze of Chinas economical development through the 20th century, have you got any tips?

Thanks

/Hampus Ahlgren

All that I can think of would be this source and the podcast interview it cites:

http://positiveliberty.com/2007/05/attenti...a-boosters.html

This I doubt would contain hard facts you need. But it is the only honest seeming appraisal of china I can think of.

Actually one other.

http://www.feer.com/home

FEER is supposedly has a great reputation with eastern journalism while keeping humanitarian viewpoint.

Hope it might help.

Edited by IchorFigure

• 1 month later...

The Chinese economy extends far beyond the domains of Beijin and Taipei. It exists an informal free trade market among ethnic chinese between Singapore , H.K. and the two Chinas*; as well as closer economic ties between Taiwan and Mainland . Then we have the fact that less than 10% of Indonesians are ethnic Chinese and make up for 90% of its economy (google it, these are not hard facts) , without even counting the millions of Chinese in the rest of Asia Pacific and the Americas.

so you could focuss on the broader Chinese Civilization economy, particularly the foursome of P.R. China, the Republic of China, Singapore and Hong Kong S.A.R.

I've made the point in an unrelated thread that it exists something similar to a "Hanseatic League" system. The informal factor of the economy is very important considering the harsh P.R.C. economic controls.

If your hippy teacher (redundance?) wants you to concentrate on "People's" China, then just mention Milton Friedman with Deng Xiaopin, I'm sure he'll be thrilled.

* Huntington: Clash of Civilizations

Edited by volco

The best piece of advice I can give you is watch out for misleading statistics

For example, the awful modern literature will say things like "Between x and y chinas power output expanded 300%" , but that isn't very impressive. Why on Earth would, for example, the USA ever need to expand power output by 300%? It is nonsensical - the only reason the figure is high is because there is such low output, and they simply add a few coal fired turbines and triple their output.

Your references will more than likely all be like this.